1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still need help with adding permanent sub to avi file to burn to disc

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by AndyLaz, Aug 13, 2011.

1. AndyLaz

AndyLaz Member

I was able to add an SRT different language subtitle to an AVI file and open it with media player classic home cinema and so far , the file plays fine with the subs showing on the computer , but is there a way to add the SRT file to the video when burning to a disc ? I want the subs to show on the disc when watching it in a DVD player .

2. attar

attar Senior member

If your standalone player can play the DivX files you can name the .srt file the same as the avi, and turn the subs on/off with the remote.
    Myvideo.avi
    Myvideo.srt

An alternative is to hardcode the subtitles into the video using VirtualDub.
    This requires the video be recompressed and takes longer.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/adding_subs_to_avi.cfm

3. AndyLaz

AndyLaz Member

I changed the name of my avi file to " my video and " my video with my srt file . I also created a my video.srt.ssa file with virtual dub and when I open virtual dub and extract all the icons I see , I'm not sure which to use .
    Surprisingly , I installed FFDSHOW and when watching the video on my PC the avi now plays with the subs in sync , but when I burned it to a disc the subs don't appear . When clicking subs on my remote it subs not found .
    Doesn't it sound like if the subs show on the pc fine , they should burn to a disc?

4. attar

attar Senior member

If your standalone player can play DivX files and both the video and subtitles have the same name:
    something.avi
    something.srt
    - they will play using the remote.

I'm not clear what the problem is with VirtualDub.
    Are you saying that VirtualDub won't start?
    The application file is 'VirtualDub.exe' and clicking on it starts the program;there is no installation required - everything is in the unzipped folder.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. AndyLaz

AndyLaz Member

When using virtualdub , and click on file to open the video there's a message about VBR audio detected . VBR in AVI is non-standard and may receive sync errors when attempting to extract WAV files in some players.Full processing mode is recommended to decompress if this is the problem .

I've used subtitle workshop and subtitle creator and receive a pop-up about a " bad subtitle or unsupported format . If the sub is bad then how can it play on windows media player with fddshow installed. When I give the same exact name to the avi file and srt it won't show the subs at all, so sounds odd I know .

6. attar

attar Senior member

Is that pop-up referring to your original .srt file or the new .ssa file that you want to use in VirtualDub.

The VBR message from VirtualDub can be ignored for the moment.
    You would just click 'OK' and continue.

7. AndyLaz

AndyLaz Member

Thanks for trying to help , but I'm going to quit for now because I've tried doing this before and no luck . No computer shop will attempt to do this because they tell me they deal with virus related issues and reformatting and that kind of stuff. One shop spent 4 hours trying to synchronize subs for a guy that was a DJ and no luck on their part .