1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Problems with Movies after all this

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by WarrenC, Jan 27, 2005.

1. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

I posted a message earlier about the problems I've been having copying movies,tried what was suggested but still am not getting good results. I have an external Plextor PX-708UF and have been using TDK+R media. Bought the burner last summer and the first two movies I copied with DVDXcopy worked great. Next few had a few pauses in it. Changed to DVDClonerII, but the problem persisted, even worse than before. Switched to DVD Shrink and Nero. Problem getting worse so that the movie skipped 2-3 minutes ahead on numerous occasions.

Now I followed ScubaPete's recommendations, using Shrink and Decrypter and changed my media to Verbatum DataPlus -R. The copy was better in that it did not skip, but I still got about 10 pauses in my latest attempt. Now I am thinking that maybe something is wrong with the Burner, so I contacted Plextor, ran their Diagnostics twice and the burner passed both times. Any idea what is going on. It's getting really frustrating.

FYI, I disabled Norton Utilities (or so I think)so that nothing loads on startup, but I did notice that when I send emails, it still checks for virus so I guess I didn't totaly disable it. Is there anyway to do this simply and could this be my problem, or maybe the USB cable/port might be the problem. Would appreciate any help.

Warren

2. mrbillpro

mrbillpro Member

Can you list your PC specs.

Processor
    Ram
    etc.

3. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

I'm running a Pentium chip. Can't remember the speed of it but I bought the computer 3 yrs ago and got one middle of the road. There's 512 megs of ram and I'm running XP. 80 meg hard drive that is about 80% full, one floppy drive, two CD drives, one of which is a burner and of course an external DVD burner.

Warren

4. mrbillpro

mrbillpro Member

Warren, The reason I asked is I had the problem when I was running a Pentium 3 processor with 1 Gig of ram and I upgraded to a Pentium 4 2.4 Gig and 1 Gig of ram and have never had any issues other than trying to backup some of the new DVD's other than that it's been pretty smooth ride since then. Maybe someone will come along that might be able to suggest something else I saw the problems you were having and they were like the ones i used to have so i thought i would key in.
    Take Care Mr. Bill

5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I'd still look into whether this is a problem with media quality. The best way to do this is with a program that can do a check for crc read errors. Have you tried this? A good one is dvdinfopro. It will also tell you who actually manufactured the media (not necessarily who you think!).

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

You might be having this problem if your computer or burner can only use USB 1. If it takes you a long time to burn, say longer than 15 minutes or so at 4x, then you are using USB 1. I have heard other people say they have problems with this. If you are burning faster than 4x, that might be your problem too. Also try defragging your hard drive.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Check out some of the suggestions from this Forum/Thread. It might help.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/152868

Also two things that worry me:
    Norton Utilities and 80 meg hard drive that is about 80% full. I'll leave the first one alone since it is not my place but would suggest to try and delete unused programs, etc. to free up more disk space and also defrag like what was mentioned before.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  8. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

Yes, I've already started deleting things to make up more room and have defragged. The USB is 2.0

Is there anyway to totally disable Norton's without uninstalling it?

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@WarrenC

There can be many things causing your problems, one of which could be the Norton program running in the background. If you could do this "first" and get this freeware, (filemon.exe) from the link below:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

Once you load this program, and once you believe that you have shut down every program in the background, task manager included, you will then see exactly what is "still running", including the number, time, request, path, and the result of the program(s) still active. It is very easy to use and I’m sure you will be surprised as to what you might find. If you even have broadband and are online, you'll see hits made by cookies in the background you never new about. If you have an older system, you also are sure to have a lot of “baggage” that has collected or been installed on your PC and if this baggage is still active, it will be found using filemon.exe.

Good luck

10. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

Already downloaded filemon and am running it on my work computer. Any guidelines on how to read the output. What is supposed to be running in the background and what is junk?

Warren

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Wow, that was fast! :)

The easiest way might be for you to check out the "Path" which will show where the program is located that is being executed. Paths with c:/windows etc are to be expected. iexplore.exe is also expected when using IE6. Look for "symantec" or "norton" in the path which would give support that they are still running in the background. Please give this some time to see repetition in programs used. You will figure out soon enough what should be and what should not be.

12. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

Thanks,

13. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Sorry, WarrenC; I hate to do this to you; but, I think it's time for an upgrade. You may get 200 bills for your current set up if you are lucky then use that money for A MAJOR upgrade to some newer technology; ie: Pentium 4 Northwood or Prescott, SATA 120GB (min) Hard drive, latest and greatest DVD-ROM and a 16x DVD Burner (internal), decent sound and video card and 1 GB of memory. If you are serious about burning/copying/ripping then it's time to get the tools to do it right. My opinion only.

Stay "Tuned".

14. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

Thats where I'm thinking now. It never even dawned on me that maybe the problem is with the computer and not with the burning software/burner etc.

Warren

15. scorpio_e

scorpio_e Guest

Warren.. I would look into a few other things.. I would run a virus check..Check for spyware and also run MSCONFIG and see what you have running in the background

16. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Warren,

The one thing you don't mention is what standalone dvd player are you using. I say this because just the other day I made a couple of movies for a friend. He had an older player. One movie was on a maxell dvd-r (media code mxlr-go2) which played great and the other was on a maxell dvd-r (media code ritek go4) which skipped and froze on him. So he went out and got a Sanyo (model 395 or 400 not quite sure which)but it was at Walmart for 54 bucks and change and they both play great. They were made using the latest versions of dvd shrink and dvd decrypter to burn. I have an amd athlon 1.3ghz, 80gb hard drive and 768mb ram, NEC 1300A dvd burner so I don't have a top shelf system. I have no issues. If you use shrink, select custom size of around 4300-4360 to keep the burn away from the edge. Also if you have roxio, uninstall drag to disk portion. Same if you have Nero, uninstall IN-CD portion. These are packet writing programs and are constantly talking to your recorder (bad news when you are trying to burn). Also if you are on broadband turn it off. xcopy-don't burn faster than 2.4x. Shrink-Decrypter combo is 4x. The jury is still out on faster recording speeds but the verdicts are just coming in. I stay at 4x and have no problems.

Hope this helps

Duh, I reread and see you have Nero. Do you have IN-CD loaded?

17. donks007

donks007 Member

Hiya, I have a suggestion, If you go to run on the start bar and type in MSCONFIG a menu will appear. click START UP and it will display all the items that boot on startup. If you uncheck the box marked with NORTON or SYMENTEC, it wont boot on start up and after a restart will be totally disabled. Then you can do what you want and when you finished, just do the same thing again and re-check the box to get Norton going again. Personally I use Panda Antivirus as Norton is too big, too heavy and too slow. It also causes a lot of program running problems. I dont even know panda is running most of the time becuase it is so resource effecient.
    Donks007

18. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

Latest update. I went through and deleted as many programs as possible to free up space. Now I have at least 50% hard disk. I ran a bunch of spyware programs and found about 20. One in particular was difficult to remove, but I finally got rid of it. This one (istsvc.exe) was running in the background. I also defragged my harddrive and deleted all directories with movies in them and then burnt the same movie (without a paddle) that I had the most problems with. I had kept the shrink ISO on the harddrive so I used Nero to burn. I burnt onto a Verbatum +RW The burn was consideraly better in that it didn't skip, but I still got about half a dozen pauses. I will try the latest suggestions and see how I make out, but it does seem that I'm getting close. FYI, my DVD player is a KOSS home theatre about 1 year old. I have another DVD player that does play them better, but you can still see some interference.

Warren

19. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

I ran MSConfig and although there are no SYMANTEC or NORTON headings, there are a couple of processes that are originating with Nortons. Can I safely disable these? I'm at work right now and I can't remember what they are. The only reason I know they are part of Norton is I ran Google to find out about them. They are not in any norton subdirectories. I did have InCD and Drag&Drop both installed so I got rid of them and tried a new burn, again using Scuba Petes guide. All I got now was 4 skips in the centre of the movie. When I ran the alternative ending (THE FORGOTTON), I got about 4 skips in this section alone.

Warren

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Hey Warren

Do you say that you are burning as ISO? Have you tried saving as Files then burn?