1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still skipping even after buying TY's......

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by gonecrazy, Jan 9, 2005.

1. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

I have no idea what is going on. I have a pioneer dvr-108, use dvd decrypter and dvd shrink (target size 4350). I have jvc xv s-500 and panasonic dvd a-120 standalones. I have tried prodisc dvd-r 4x, fuji dvd-r 8x and TY dvd-r 8x. (I ran each disc through dvd identifier and they all appear as such.)

Why are the burned dvds still skipping? They don't start skipping till about 45 mins into the movie but once it starts it continuously skips till the end. It doesn't freeze up and stop, which they did before when the target size was set at the default of 4686. So the target size change did 'improve' it if you can call it that. Do I need to set the target size lower or is there something else I need to do? I don't think buying other dvd-rs would mjake a difference at this point, will it??? Please help!

2. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

Forgot to mention that the burned dvd plays perfect in the computer so I am really baffled!

3. colw

colw Active member

Standalone players tend to be more finicky in the the media they will accept and play compared with DVD ROM's.

I have found cheap, no name brands to be more reliable for burnt DVD playback compared with Name brands e.g., have two el cheapos and an older LG. The el cheapos play everything that is thown at it while the LG does not like certain types of disk (e.g., white printables).

Default tareget size for Shirnk if 4464Mb so 4350 should be fine.

Would suggest trying your DVD's on some other players (friends) to see what happens.

Also trust you are not using labels on your burnt DVD's - this will ultimately lead to skipping/playback problems.

4. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

Hi,
    I am having the same problems and I have read through most of the forums on these types of issues. I have tried most of not all of the suggestions but still I get skipping and freezing on both my players and even my friends player.

BUT.... with my discs you can actually see that the whole disc is not filled. I've tried various types of media: Sony, Fuji, Maxell (some Fuji's have worked).

When I turn the disc over (after it burns using one or both Decrypter and Shrink), you can see the difference in the disc color. Most of my messed up discs (around 20 out of 75 burned) look to be only half way burned. Has anyone else noticed this ?

Can you help me ?
    P.S. I just ordered a Pioneer 108 in case it is my burner (Sony DRU540a).

Thank you,
    JohnCue

5. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

JohnCue,

Have you tried the burned dvd in your computer? Does it play all the way through?

I 'think' I've solved my issue. I burned a TY at 4x and without a label. So far so good!

6. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

Actually I have not. Only because you can see the difference on the actual disc. You can see that the disc is only half full. I will try anyway.
    P.S. Just to add...I don't use media with labels.

7. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

Wait a minute....they do seem to play in my DVD-Rom drive but not in either of my stand alone players.
    What the heck ?? They look half done when you look at the disc. What now ?

8. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

I've been reading that the el cheapo brands of stand alone DVD player play just about anything. I have a Toshiba a Sony and a Samsung and all don't seem to play the discs that "seem" to be burned half way. Also, my friends have JVC and Sony and they don't play right in their players either.
    Help...I'm goin' crazy, gonecrazy. : )

9. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

Wait another minute....not all burned copies are playing in my DVD-Rom (Troy did not play after first 5mins).
    Thanks,
    JohnCue

10. xxme2xx

xxme2xx Member

I fought with that same problems for weeks. It was the media I was using.The wierd part was out of 100 the first 25 worked great after that I was getting 90% coasters. Are you getting alot of i/o errors before burning? Even the coasters work great on the computer.

11. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

I am not getting any error messages. The DVDs burn fine with DVD Shrink, or at least they seem like they burn fine until I play them on my stand alone DVD player(s). I ordered Ritek Ridata DVD+R today from rima.com. I hope they work.

Anyway...I found a few old Verbatim DVD-Rs that I had laying around. I think when I first tried them about a year ago, they didn't work right so I stopped using them. A friend uses DVD+Rs so I started using them.

Well, I just tried to copy Troy (I own it) and what do you know...the damn thing worked. lol
    I have about three more Verbatim DVD-Rs left so I'm going to try to copy a few other movies that I originally only burned half way with the Fuji DVD+Rs that I was using (along with Maxell & Sony).

I sure hopes this helps others that may be having the same problems.

I'll let you know what happens.

12. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

So far I've burned 3 movies that originally had problems with and so far...the Verbatim DVD-Rs that I found laying around are working in my stand alone DVD player. It could of been a media issue. Only time will tell. I will keep you posted in hope that this will help others. Thanks all.

13. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

Ok.... 5 movies copied sp far and all work fine with the Verbatim DVD-Rs.

I did a few things different that seemed to have helped make a difference:

1-Changed media from Sony,Maxell,Fuji to VERBATIM.
    2-Changed media type from +R to -R.
    3-Changed target size to 4350
    4-Checked the box "Deep Analysis" in quality settings (in the back up window)

One or all of these may of helped me but the important thing is...It seems I'm back to burining.

Thanks Afterdawn !!!!

14. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

JohnCue,

Sorry for my late response. It sounds like you solved the problem. I was going to recommended the target size change and deep analysis. Those made a difference on mine also. The media is always a big issue. I've nevere had any luck with Maxell or Fuji. Never tried Sony or Verbatim. Prodisc, which is a good media, works pretty well but my success rate was still only about 60% BUT it could have also been the use of labels too. I am awaiting my Taiyo Yuden's to arrive and hoping those will solve my problem. Remember to never burn above 4x also cause that can cause issues to!

15. xxme2xx

xxme2xx Member

just another suggestion. I have a weak reading phillips dvd standalone and it skips with anydvd that I burn at over 4x no matter what media I use. just thought I offer that info you may not have that problem.

16. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

Thanks.
    With me...I've tried 3 & 4 different stand alone DVD players. The copied dvds (the ones I have issues with) skip or freeze in all of them. It's strange to me that you can see the difference on the actual disc when I have a problem. You can see that it's only burned about half of the movie (but this same disc will sometimes play fully in my DVDrom) ???

I should be getting my new Pioneer 108 and new Ritek disc. I can't wait to see the results. Hope it works.
    I'll let you know. : )

17. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

Thanks Gonecrazy.
    The thing that bothers me the most is that my buddies copy their movies all the time and hardly ever ever have problems (95% sucess). They both have weaker PCs than I do and they use cheap brand media. Either of us use lables on our discs. We buy the cases and color copy the case lables from the original movie but we just write the name of the movie on the disc. It goes into your dvd player anyway, right. lol
    I also want to try TY's. I've been reading up on them.