1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stolen 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by AkaMrMike, Apr 15, 2007.

1. AkaMrMike

AkaMrMike Regular member

I was thinking of buying a 360 off of ebay, but I was wondering what would happen if I was to get one that was stolen and go on live with it? Would Microsoft be able to detect that serial or other number to tell if it was stolen?

2. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i dont think so,

3. Thoatih12

Thoatih12 Regular member

most likely not..

4. Memnock

Memnock Active member

If it's new I wouldn't worry about it. It it's used someone could probably find out if they were looking hard enough if the previous owner took it on Live.

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Well any internet device has a mac address and it can be traced to an IP so if whoever had it stolen from had their mac address and reported it to say Microsoft and the police I am sure it would not be very hard to find. If all those requirement are met is another case.

6. Blasterjk

Blasterjk Guest

I would be leary about buying one on e-bay. The 360 has a code encrypted number that serves as its identity, XBL does not ban the ip or mac ip as alot have stated, they ban the specific number of the box. Very easily a box on e-bay could be fully functional yet banned from XBL. So post the question to the seller everytime if it were banned or not.

7. nazza2310

nazza2310 Guest

I know someone who has a stolen xbox because i saw them get it and xbox live is working fine for them and nothing happend and its been 3 months

8. paul91

paul91 Regular member

tbh if a seller was selling a stolen xbox that was banned from live i dont think they would be stupid enough to admit it

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  9. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Of course a mac address caN always be hidden or masked ... Proxy Servers do this quite well!

MS isn't that in the dark about things - they would block your xBox by its serial number, the part that cannot be changed, not by the MAC addess. If I use a different wifi adaptor, I have a different mAC address - if I use a proxy server on my network, then the proxy server is making the requests to the internet and relaying them to my computer or xBox, thus a different MAC address anoce again. The xBox serial number on the other hand doesn't change and is embedded.

10. theridges

theridges Guest

i dont think you have anything to worry about.......
    the question is how much cheaper is the one on ebay going for when you can go into almost anystore these days and grab a brand new one off the shelf?

11. AkaMrMike

AkaMrMike Regular member

I went ahead and bought it the auction ended at 140, and that is for the premium with everything included.

12. theridges

theridges Guest

let me see the link to that auction thats crazy...

13. Arkadiy

Arkadiy Guest

New or Used?

14. theridges

theridges Guest

even if its used...140 +shipping is still a steal.....

15. AkaMrMike

AkaMrMike Regular member

It is used of course otherwise I would be the one stealing ;)