1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stops at second layer

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by steimy, Aug 17, 2007.

1. steimy

steimy Active member

I just did a format and reinstalled my XP Pro and now both XBC and Schtrom stop ripping at around 48% (second layer) and will not go past that point. Any ideas?

2. budro

budro Regular member

i'm sure you've already cleaned the discs, so i wont go there. but, if there are any scratches in it (take my word for this, saved more games than i can count) spread peanut butter (smooth) on the surface, and wipe it clean with coffee filters, then use windex to make sure you've cleaned all the remnants. that'll make it readable at least, if that's your problem. but if it's not a scratch or anything, i don't quite know what to tell you

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  3. budro

budro Regular member

sry, double post

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  4. theridges

theridges Guest

try installing different ASPI drivers like nero's and pinnacles

http://www.nero.com/nero6/en/ASPI_Driver.html
    ftp://ftp.pinnaclesys.de/driver/pc/InstantCDDVD/ASAPI.exe

i dont know if it will work but it wont hurt to try...

5. steimy

steimy Active member

I have Nero 7 so if i install that then i should get the ASPI druvers with it, correct?
    I am not sure why it stops, i used 2 different originals and both failed. I did get one working copy using schtrom 3.3 but i am not too confident of making them like i was before, But i will install Nero and see what happens, although i had Nero installed before and had the same problems before my most recent format.

6. penner13

penner13 Guest

you sure you are using a dual layer dvd burner?

7. steimy

steimy Active member

to the above, are you joking? Of course i have a dual layer burner. Everything worked fine before the format and re-install of Windows. Now it works somewhat, but not the way it use to. And i am not sure the back up is 100% working or if there may be a section that i will reach that will jam me up. Because now half way through the read i get an error and have to select the "fill sector with zero's" option in the pop up box to let it continue. After that it read the rest, and everything tests ok, and it works. But i was told that this should not happen and that you should never have to fill any sectors with zeor's other than the default sections that the program does by itself.

8. mrlip

mrlip Regular member

Steimy, this is a problem that a friend of mine had and its a problem other people have that gets brought up about once a month. As far as I am aware, nobody seems to know the answer to it. My friend had the problem while burning, it would stop at the second layer. But I would imagine the solution is the same whether burning or writing.My friend originally had the problem with a 109 Pioneer burner. He changed it to a 111 Pioneer burner, he got about 6 or 7 burns out of it, then it nose dived again and he got the same problem. So its not a burner thing. He also altered nothing internally, I assume you havent either. It has to be a Windows thing. Possibly even a service pack issue??Maybe different ATAPI drivers would be worth a try. Also, I take it your on the NTFS file system?

9. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

re installing windows can make some stuff on your comp stop working re install it again with full updates and make sure your dual layer burner has the latest firmware update if any newer updates are available for it then make sure theyre installed

10. steimy

steimy Active member

Mrlip, yeah. That is what i am thinking. I have done the updates that it has given me, i also installed Nero 7 Untra which gave me ATAPI drivers but i may still look on the windows site to see what they have as well. Nothing changed internally other than i removed a hard drive. But seeing that my Sammy drive is SATA anyway that should effect nothing. The Windows is XP Pro SP2 so i do not think there are any other service packs. I am hoping that if i keep doing frequent visits to the MS site and updating that it will all sort itself out because i have really changed nothing other than installing Windows.

immy_2k,
    None of that is really going to help. The burners firmware stays on the burner, not the PC. So when you format or install windows the same firmware you had is on there. And i did re-install windows twice now and it did not solve anything. The problem most likely lies either in a misc. windows update or some sort of driver that was there before and not there now. Everything else on the system is exactly the same.

11. mrlip

mrlip Regular member

Well Steimy, a couple of good things to point out. One, my friends drive wasnt a SATA connection. It was an IDE connection. So that seems to rule that out. On a better note, at least your trying to rip the games. Its a real pain in the arse when your burning games and your just wasting dual layer after dual layer. Am really curious as to finding a solution to this problem because no one seems to know. My only other suggestion Steimy is to post on a PC tech forum. Not sure which is the best, but am sure you can google for a good one. They can prob help you better than any Xbox board.

12. steimy

steimy Active member

thought about it, but how can you provide any real detail to them to get help without revealing what your actually doing. There is really no way around it. So i decided with the current state of affairs on modded systems and the governmental raids i would just lay a little low.

Even though i totally disagree with the policy that backing up my own OWNED games is illegal. It still is so i have to deal with it.
    I do not consider it illegal, i just think it is being smart with your investment of $60 of hard earned cash.

13. mrlip

mrlip Regular member

Just say your trying to rip a dual layer dvd. Dont go into specifics. As long as you say its a dual layer, thats all thats needed.

14. steimy

steimy Active member

true, but i would have to go into specifics due to the fact that it is not an issue with all dual layer discs, just 360. I can back up one of my movies with CloneDVD just fine without any issues at all. And that is using the same Samsung DVD-Rom drive in the PC to read it. I did that test just to see if it had problems with all discs and programs, or just the one's that are associated with the 360.

I have a few more things i want to try this weekend but it is really just a shot in the dark at this point since i am not 100% sure exactly where the error lies. Most people seem to think it is an driver issue. I am sure is it something small that when it is all said and done will make me bang my head against a wall.

15. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

just a thought try and delete some programmes u might have like any dvd. and when your are burning do u have any other programmes running at the same time its worth a try

16. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

i know ur not stpid steimy just some suggestions of thought if u havent already done them when u re install windows u do do a full re in stall format the hard drive first or just a partial install and some other burning or media programmes could be the cause of ur system conflicting just a thought mate

17. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

de frag the hard drive it might solve your problem
    or try to reinstall and update the sata drivers
    or delete any programmes like any dvd or snything else you might think it will be. hope u get it sorted mate

18. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, full format and install, not the quick format.
    and all programs i currently have on my PC were on there when it worked so i ruled that one out too. In fact i have a lot less as far as programs on my system now. I might fool around and take out the jumper on the back of the drive. It is SATA so i do not see why it would need one. That and look into ATAPI drivers and whatever else i can think of. I really have tried just about everything i can think of which is why most answers now have already been tried. But hey, keep them coming because one of them may just work.

19. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

also b4 re installing completely check for viruses and spyware. inall honesty alot of people have had problems with windows xp sp2

20. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

A month or so back i had a burning problem. It is not the same as yours though. with dual layer discs i kept getting the error unable to lock drive for exclusive access i believe it was. I could not understand why or how this happened being that i burned dual layers before that with nothing changing and then all of a sudden this. I updated the firmware and ive had no problems since. hope you get it figured out steim.