1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Space - Please Help

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by depfer, Mar 18, 2003.

1. depfer

depfer Member

Following the "recommended "encoding parameter guideline" to produce a low bitrate move, nothing I change seems to work.
    The original move I started with is listed as 101 minutes, and the mpg file I end up with is 101 minutes. I want to get what the parameters suggest, "up to 70 minutes on a 128MB compact flash card."
    Can someone please help. How do I get more useage out of my 128MB CF card ?
    I used SmartRipper, DVD2AVI, and TMPGEnc to create the mpg file.
    Am I missing a parameter change ?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

I don't see where changing the bitrate will change the length of your movie, just the size in MB. To change the length in minutes you'd have to remove parts of the movie like credits and extras.

3. depfer

depfer Member

I don't either. I'm just trying to get the results stated in the guidelines that say you can get 30 minutes on a 128MB CF card listed under Medium bitrate, and 70 minutes on a 128MB CF card listed under Low bitrate parameters.

The "Encoding Parameters Guidelines" I have been looking at are shown in the chart at :
    www.mpegtv.com/wince/pockettv/encoding.html

No matter what parameters I have changed, I seem to get the same storage space results.

I'm new to all of this, so its all beyond me.
    Somebody must know what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm really surprised that none of the experts sent a reply. I assumed I was making some stupid mistake or just missing something completely. I'm almost begging for help, but they must not be interested in this topic.

4. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

The way that I understand what I'm reading is they are saying you can put up to 70 minutes of mpeg1 onto a 128MB card if the screen size is 240x160 and you use a bitrate of 180 to 200 kbits a second. This doesn't mean you could fit an entire 101 minute movie on the card using their guidelines, you'd still have to split the movie among two cards or go even smaller screen size and lower bitrate. What is the file size of the movie you created right so far? As for no one answering, your original post sounds pretty vague, until I looked at the link I didn't understand what you were trying to do either.

5. depfer

depfer Member

I'm not trying, or expecting to get the movie onto only 128MB's. My problem is that I cannot do what the guidelines say I should be able to do.

I've tried several parameter changes, but always end up getting 12 minutes of the movie on the 128MB card, not 30 and not 70 minutes as the guideline suggests.

6. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

7. depfer

depfer Member

For the conversion I used the guide I first found at afterdawn.com, however its almost identical.

During DVD2AVI I copied down the values displayed, with the frame rate of 29.970fps. I've tried lowering this later with no help.
    As indicated in the directions I also did a select of 48->44.1 and selected High, but also tried low without any change.

I have also been posting on the pocketmovies.net forum. No replies yet from their experts.

The conversion directions have all worked well and my mpeg movie turns out ok. Like I keep stating, I can't seem to get the memory requirements reduced so that I can get the times stated in the chart of parameter guidelines. The original 101 min movie creates a .98Gb mpeg file. I should receive a new 1G
    CF card in the mail tomorrow, but I had hoped to be able to achieve the times specified in the guidelines before then. I would really like to use the "recommended" settings which lists 4hours on 1GB. That would really make me happy.
    I just have this feeling that its going to be something minor I'm overlooking since I'm new to all of this.
    By the way, thanks for all the questions, sooner or later someone else is going to jump in and give me the answer just to shut me up.

8. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the WAV file that is boosting the file size up. I'm guessing that you chose your audio source by looking at the text file that smartripper creates. Did you choose an audio source of 6 channels or 2? Also there are some differences between the two guides in the MPEG video settings that might point out something.

9. depfer

depfer Member

Twilite,
    I hate to even admit this, but I'm getting the results I want now, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I DID!

I haven't ever changed anything in Smartripper. I've used whatever the default is set to. In DVD2AVI, I've only changed the few recommended changes in the guides, and I've always used the same changes.

In TMPGEnc is where I've made the most changes. Now that a working template comes up each time, I'm now making small changes to the settings to check the results. I know I started getting the results I wanted by making changes to the settings in TMPGEnc, but I've changed so many settings each time that I can't even guess which one was initially wrong, or not set.
    The first time I got the results I wanted, I got 40 minutes on the 128MB CF card.
    I did receive my new 1GB CF card today, and I put "Soldier" and "Coyote Ugly" on it and have enough memory left (378 MB) to store a third movie.
    As you pointed out, the 2nd guide did have some differences. I am now using the recommended settings from both guides.
    If I find the setting that resolved my problem I'll let you know. I probably won't go backwards for a few days though.
    Once again, thanks for your help. I hope I didn't waste too much of your time since I can't even tell you what solved the problem.

10. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

No time wasted here, I'm glad the problem is resolved. If you do find it I hope you post so others can reference it later.