1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storing DVD to HD is safer?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by 0jammer0, Mar 16, 2004.

1. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

I have encountered problems with skipping/pausing of my backups. I have always used DVD Shrink v.2.3 and RecordNow DX. Now I started to use DVD Decryptor first, because I heard that storing the files on the HD is "safer" or better than by just putting them on the VIDEO_TS folder. Is this true? Does the video quality come out better? Or is it the same?

Right now I'm actually watching a backup by using this method (DVD Decryptor, Shrink, RecordNow) and so far so good. Is this because storing the files on HD is better? Or is it that I haven't gotten to the skipping/pausing part of the backup yet?

Also, this may sound dumb (probably is to many of you) but, when you store the DVD files on the HD when using Decryptor (or any software that lets you store in the HD), the final size of the stored files is the same size as the movie, correct?? For instance if I try to store a movie that's 5.7 GB, only 5.7 GB will be used up on the HD.

2. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

Hi OJammer,

This a technical issue. Most people have their DVD player and DVD burner on the same IDE bus. When you copy directly from the original to the blank (using any burner software)the information is being moved around that IDE bus quite a bit and can cause you to run out of bandwidth on that bus. This can lead to problems and it is recommended that it be "stored" on the hard drive to avoid failures. Most burners can recover from this using their "buffers". However you can use up all the buffer at a faster rate than you can "offload" that buffer... so you get a failure.

Note: The above applies to burning a DVD which has already been decrypted. If you are Decrypting.. then there is "CPU" activity going on which will slow the rate of transfer going on the "bus".. because it needs to be processed before it's burnt. In such a case there is less chance of bus saturation.

To avoid "bus" competition..it's best to transfer information between devices on the different bus"es".
    As a precaution, I always rip to hard drive first. Does it affect the quality of the picture to do it directly? .. No. Does it increase the possibility of creating a toaster ? Yes.

One step solutions (such as DVD XCopy Express, etc...) always store to hard drive as temporary before actually burning onto the blank.

Remember, this is digital.. moving the data to one device or another wil not dilute the quality.

DeCrypter is a ripper.. it takes the "Macrovision" protected encryption and decyphers it. The size of the output is the same. To get it to "Shrink" to 4.7 GB so that it will fit onto a single layer DVD (known as a DVD5 format); you need to use a compressor susch as DVD2ONE, DVDShrink, etc ..

Compressor programs analyze the data and look for ways to reduce the size without affecting the quality. If you compress too much...you will see pixelation and other undesireables called "artifacts".

I think this should give you the answers you were seeking.

Regards,
    CK

Regards,
    CK

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  3. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya UT_CK,

Good post and well put.

Have Fun...

4. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

yeah thanks for the post. Seems like you know what you're talking about. thanks for your input.

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That sounds like it could be a media problem. It's important to find media that is a good match for your burner and stick with it (for me RitekG03's and G04's work well). Chasing cheap media and rebate sales does not appeal to me. I know what media I want/works, that will always give me coaster free results and I'm not running all over town playing the rebate game. So many times folks think they are saving 20 cents a disc then end up with coasters and start posting to these forums.

As far as direct copying goes a lot depends on your rig. A faster cpu with enough RAM and you should be able to copy direct with no problems.

Both my drives are on the 2nd IDE channel, burner as Master and reader as Slave. Using AnyDVD I often burn direct using either InstantCopy 8, Intervideo DVD Copy, B's Gold or Nero 6 and have had no problems. The only app I turn off is MailWasher (as incoming mail will trigger it).

XP Pro, sp1, AMD 2600+ with 512 RAM.

6. vanno

vanno Member

hi
    would like to know which encodes best dvdxcopy platinum, dvdshrink or dvd2one etc.

when program say compress % the higher or lower number is best. what I mean is if it says 61% compressed, should I lower or raise percentage to get better picture quality

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Head over to the newbie forums and search around, this is not an advanced question or even pertinant to the topic.