1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight copy or ripping first??

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by TripleX, Jul 26, 2002.

1. TripleX

TripleX Regular member

Hi everybody! I was curious, can you make a straight copy of a DVD onto a DVD-R or do you have to rip it first with a program like Smart Ripper or Clad DVD and then use IFOedit? Also, if you have to rip them first, you rip the whole DVD or just the vob and ifo file?
    Thx for your time!

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

You can go with direct copy/burn if the DVD isn't encrypted (CSS), but most are. Otherwise you need to rip (decrypt and copy). Also, I would say that the burning process would be somewhat more stable when the source data is off HDD and not DVD.

As for the second question, it depends on what you want to do. The guides here are essential reading if you intend on manipulating the VOB/IFOs:

http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/index.html

3. sumnerpa

sumnerpa Guest

Don't think you can make a straight copy of a dvd onto dvdr, I'm new to this too so I'm still learning but I think the DVD Original is Encrypted so all the DVD is to be Ripped onto your Hard Drive.Check out the following link for instructions and you'll probably be best printing them http://mpucoder.dynodns.net/derrow/
    Hope this helps. Paul.

4. TripleX

TripleX Regular member

Thx a lot the two of you, but may I ask another question?, is it correct that after you ripped a DVD you can just burn it onto a DVD-R using a program like say Nero?
    Thx again

5. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

6. TripleX

TripleX Regular member

Thank you