1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange DVD problem... Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MrBoney, Jan 13, 2005.

1. MrBoney

MrBoney Member

Threw in a couple of DVD's I've never watched on the PS2, and they both choked at the layer switch. In fact one, X-Men, went so far as to pop up "Unable to Read Disk" after a while. If it DOES play, it stutters, audio drops out, goes out of sync etc...

So, I turned the unit off for a few hours. Decide to throw in the one disk I know for sure where the layer switch is, to give it a test. Fellowship of the Ring: EE, disk 2. I've had this a few times lately, but this disk worked just fine one week before Christmas. I know I at least watched it then.

I put the DVD in, it flashes up "Reading Disk" for about a second, and then it goes away. No disk appears. Nor does the dreaded DRE appear. I can't do anything to make the disk show up. Threw in wifes "Sleeping Beauty", same thing. Strangely, I throw in disk 1 of Fellowship and it picks it up just fine.

Any ideas? I'm at a complete loss. I'm worried that it's starting to choke on dual layer DVD's... Not knowing the differences in structure etc... This has me somewhat concerned for Gran Turismo 4.

I was wondering whether to bust out a lens cleaner disk, but I've heard they can scratch the lens, so I'd like it if someone could confirm or deny that if possible.

Hope someone can help, as with GT4 on the way, this is more than a little worrying, especially as I've only had the thing a few months.

2. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Your PS2 does not like your DVD media. Switch brands and stop playing those discs in your PS2 cause they will break it. Never play anything in your PS2 that hit has a hard time reading.

Ludikhris

3. MrBoney

MrBoney Member

This is commercial DVD movies. Having done some more testing, the PS2 simply acts like the disk isn't there. The disk spins (by virtue of the fact it comes out oriented different than when it went in) but it just doesn't detect it. Then I can eject, insert again, and it will. (Though not always.)

Ironically I've had no problems with even the cheapest media. It's only causing issues with commercial DVD9 movies that are most likely packed to the brim.

I've retired the PS2 from DVD movie duty now, just in case. Testing on known layer switches showed a pause (in the case of Fight Club, which I suddenly remembered the switch) or nothing at all (Fellowship).

4. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

My guess is that your PS2 is an old version (1-4) if im wrong then it is a mystery as to what exactly is going on, but on those older PS2s they were not designed to play DVD-9s well. This is the reason why most PS2 games atempt to avoid DVD9s. GTA SA could and should have been dvd9 but they shrunk it down to avoid problems with older PS2s. If this is the case and your PS2 is old then it may be time to replace it if this bugs you. Wear and tear overtime can do things like this when reading DVD9s. If your PS2 is that old... consider yourself lucky to be able to play DVDs at all. Those wore out quickly.

5. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

yep, i believe the dvd standard has changed also to accomadate dual layer. some old players would hang up at the switch as well.

atom

6. MrBoney

MrBoney Member

Just to make things weirder, no, this is a V7:)

I'm wondering if it's just uber picky about the layer switch. Interestingly my actual DVD player, which is renowned in my house for hating layer switches, didn't even stutter on X Men. Movies it has stuttered on, work on the PS2 just fine...

Can the unit being cold cause any issues? Since I live in Northern Canada, and the unit is near a patio door and, despite heating, it gets a little cold.

I think I may be being paranoid. I don't really care about DVD movies. It's Gran Turismo 4 that worries me. Of course, that doesn't do dual layers the way movies do anyway, so I guess it's all speculation until March...

7. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Yeah if you could... just dont watch movies in it. Even it being a V7 I would still not be surprised if the laser poofed. Even a superior product such as the V7 is going to have a few burned out lasers. If you lay off the movies and just play games I imagine you have years of life left in your PS2.

Ludikhris

8. MrBoney

MrBoney Member

Definitely laying off the movies. I picked up the console second hand. My original PS1 was second hand back in 1999 and is still going like a trooper despite years of (ab)use.

Hopefully the PS2 will keep going for years. It was well maintained when I got it and has no other issues.

Just wish GT4 would hurry the hell up so I can test it. The only other DVD9 game I want is MGS2: Substance, and you can't even get it anymore in Canada.