1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange DVD-R/-RW issues... :(

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dvdauthor, Feb 25, 2005.

1. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

Hi,

for about two years I was using Imation DVD-RW's and they worked GREAT - but of course, they both gave out on me - which is understandable after two years. So, I couldn't find these at any of the stores in my area so I settled for Sony DVD-RW's - For about 2 months I've been using them - no problem at all....until now. I just made a movie with Pinnacle Studio 8 and burned it to on of my Sony rw's - at the hour and a half mark - it starts to freeze up/however, I can hit the fast forward button and it will skip the "bad" area - so the movie is on there - therefore it's not a Pinnacle issue - I also burned the previously created content to one of my DVD-R's that studio 8 made - and it's flawless. I tried to use the RW twice for the same project and TWICE the freezing happens in the same area - so instead of letting Pinnacle erase it - I tried another program which erased it successfuly before my 2nd try.

I have used the Sony DVD-RW for movies that have been longer than an hour and a half before - and have had no problems - and from the looks of the disc, it's perfectly clean - hardly a mark on it. I have 2 of them - and I would try the other one - however, that one seems to be ruined and I don't know how that happend. If I put it in my DVD drive on the computer, it just constantly spins - it won't stop trying to read it so naturally none of the software that I have on my computer will allow me to erase it because it can't even read it or stop spinning.

So, it looks as though Sony DVD-RW's don't work very well (at least for me)....any suggestions?

From what i've seen, it has nothing to do with my burner or DVD player - it looks like it's a media issue.

UPDATE:

Ok - well, I figured I would make the changes I wanted to - burn the movie to DVD-RW (knowing that the end would be screwed up - due to bad media) and that if everything else looked OK - I would just let Pinnacle burn to my Imation printable DVD-R which are 8X (I let it burn at 1X) (isn't it better to burn at the slowest rate?) Totally ruined it It looked worse than my -RW did! and I thought it would look ok because it burned ok to my memorex -R that I had mentioned in my first post.

The Imations always worked well for me though - I have one movie that I made (same length) and it's fine - of course, I didn't let Pinnacle burn it - it came from an -RW that Pinnacle burned - but this wasn't my first try doing a direct burn to -R either with the printable discs.

What i've done is bought new -RW's from Memorex and hopefully my movie will come out OK on one of them and then i'll copy it onto a printable DVD-R with other software.

This is so frustrating. Would the burn speed have anything to do with my issues? What if I burn a DVD-R at 4x and try to copy it onto another DVD that is 8X? (and at that speed)...does that make a difference?

Sorry for the long messages, but just some suggestions ... ANYTHING would be great - and it looks like there are quite a few experienced people here - I just wish I would stop making coasters .

Thanks!!

also, do I have any misconceptions that should be cleared up?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok
    your main issue is more than likely the media you are using. Not say it is all bad, but if you keep putting movies on RW disk's you are eventually going to run into quality issues. Whay may I ask are you burning your movies onto RW disks anyway? They are expensive and don't produce near the quality you will get from a good R disk. Also the software you are using is questionable. Are these Original DVD movies or TV, or home movies? I'm not sure exactly what type of movie you are burning? If it is original back up's of DVD movies then take a look at my guide on my website and give that a try (link is in my sig). You are answering most of your problems yourself it really sound like a media issue. Taiyo Yuden media is the best money can buy I would suggest getting your hands on some of those. It could also be you need to just update the firmware for your DVD Writer because of the newer media (this is the whole reason for updated firmware).

So the first thing you should try before you do anything else is updating your firmware. It can't hurt in fact it can only help :)

3. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

Hi,

thanks for the reply - Well, the reason I use DVD-RW's is because Pinnacle Studio 8 is not what I call "reliable" software. I've made many movies before with it that i'm not crazy about - and rather than waste a DVD-R, why not get it on an RW first and then just do a copy. Also, sometimes with Pinnacle - everything will SEEM to be going fine during the burning process and then you get a "Disc burning failed with unknown error" and then you get a ruined disc. So, if i'm using an RW, so what - you just erase it and try again (while pulling your hair out trying to find the best "patch" to work and installing/re-installing all the time. Why do I put up with this is what you're probably wondering - well, I've learned all the ins and outs of the software, and to be honest, it has some GREAT features and capabilities - it's just not 100% in terms of getting the project done right the first time. Sometimes the chapters are messed up, the video is out of synch with the audio, but when I FINALLY get it right - it's one nice video. From what I understand, most mid-range DVD authoring programs aren't much better - maybe i'm wrong? This one came with my computer in a video editing package that I ordered.

As far as what type of video i'm using - It's a video transfer of a TV concert - I don't copy dvd's that I own - all of my stuff is either transfers or from TV captures.

After a movie is made from an -RW, I like to then copy it to an -R with either Roxio or Ulead's copying software.

I appreciate the suggestions, and i'm going to update my firmware either tonight or tomorrow - and i'll get back to you.

THANKS!

4. sadsac

sadsac Guest

How many times have you used this particular DVD-rw? It seems like the disk would eventually wear out if you just keep burning on them, then swapping to DVD-r and erasing, then re-using the same DVD-rw over and over.

Just a thought. I'm not very knowledgeable about the usable life of media.

5. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

actually, i've only used it maybe 10-15 times - is that A LOT? I used my imation ones for at least 100 burns each - maybe I was just lucky with them....

I just tried to get a firmware update - after trying to download it my computer said it was not needed - so I contacted Gateway's support - after explaining my issue 4 times, and being asked what operating system I was using TWICE when the information was right in front of them, I hung up. My patience with Gateway is fading.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

A lot of PC support is done by people with cue cards in 3rd world countries. It's hard to get a real computer tech in support anymore. You usually have to move up to tier 2 tech support to get any help nowadays.

When dealing with burners and media, it is always best to keep firmware up to date. If you think the Pinnacle software is poor quality, I recommend a change to VSO's CopyToDVD or Nero. I've not used Pinnacle a lot, but when I do, I've not had any problems with the IC8 burning. I wonder if some of those problems that occurred could have come from other parts of the recording process. I own all 3 of those burner programs and find them all top rate.

You may want to use DVDInfopro (freeware) to check your media for errors. http://www.dvdinfopro.com Try doing a complete format on the RWs if you're not already to see if that helps any. I've run into problems before and the complete format helped. I've got an aging Memorex-Philips RW that I keep around for testing and occasional test recordings I don't intend to keep. DVDInfoPro has a couple of formatting utilities. One of the utilities only works on some drives though.

7. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

OK - here's where i'm at right now.

bought a new -RW - burned my movie to it - Looks GREAT - tried putting it on an Imation -R with copying software - ERROR (generic error) OK - now my RW is 1-2x and my imations are 8x - I burned my imation at 1X (the slower the better...right?). I then tried to just burn the files to my Imation dvd-r without involving Studio 8 OR any -RW AT ALL - the outcome - even worse.

here's what I don't understand - why have I been able to put at least an hour and a half of video on my Imation dvd-r's BEFORE - but now they seem to just stop working - i'm sure if I made a five minute/nothing fancy movie it would look fine - I've made 2 photo slide shows at 50 minutes and one movie at 20 minutes and no problems - playback was fine. (both copied from -RW's) I've also made on FANCY movie burned it to -RW and FINE - went right on a printable (with picture already on it) with no problem....all of the sudden - i'm screwed.

about the firmware update - I was told that Gateway has not released a firmware update and that my dvd burner could write at 4x and read at 8x *well, that would sound like a problem if I hadn't had success before.....*

I'm ready to throw my computer out the window at this point - I can't possibly imagine what i'm doing wrong. I don't know what else to do...

:(

I did download a tool to check my media - and well, everything seemed to be fine ....

8. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

This may sound like a dumb question - I'm not familiar if Gateway makes it's own burner. Look in your control panel - click on system - hardware - device manager - Click on DVD/CD-Rom drive to tell you the manufactor of your burner and model #. It not gateway go to that manufactor's site and get your firmware update.

9. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

it says "Manufacturer: "Standard cd rom drives" and my dvd drive name is something like "HD GMA..."

10. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

well, I give up. I guess I wasted money on the printer and the "Printable" media because for whatever reason, I can't use them anymore...worked fine before - now they don't.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The device manager should tell you the make and model of your dvdrw. Maybe that HD GMA is a generic manufacturer. Try a google search for HD GMA optical drives. Your original invoice for your gateway pc should have the make and model on it too. As a last resort, remove the dvdrw from your case and it will say on it what it is. You can also download the freeware version of SiS Sandra and it will tell you under system summary (tells you lots of other neato info too). I use it all the time. Here's a link.
    http://www.sisoftware.net/

Sounds to me like possibly a media problem. Use dvdinfopro or dvd identifier to get the media code of your media and let us know what it is.

Another thing to try, Roxio is not a recommended burn utility because on some systems it can interfere with other software. Remove it and if you don't have nero you can download a free trial version from their website and later buy the full nero 6 ultra or even nero 6 oem.

I may be wrong on this one but I never burn at 1x. The slowest I have ever burned was 2x on 4x rated media and 4x on 8x rated media.

As far as wearing out dvd rw's, I have some Sony dvd+rw's (media code Phillips 041) that I have burned over and over countless times with no problems. I will do a full erase instead of quick erase on them about the third time I re-write to them. I also like to make my initial vidio file burn to a rw to check everything out and then either copy the disk or reburn the files to a dvd+r.

12. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

thanks for the response...

I would also say it was a media problem - however, I made movies on them before???....just as long - and one was just as advanced (menus and such....)

here's what i've tried:

burning the project directly from Studio 8 onto 8x media *at 2x* I believe - I've tried burning the finished product from an -RW to -R no good - "generic error occured" - i've tried two different brands of -RW's.

I've also tried to burn the dvd files straight to my Imation dvd-r - no good - the video looked worse than ever....and was freezing all over the place.

Like I said - does it make sense that my media is bad - but yet, other projects are fine??

13. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

I mean, simply put - my drive can't handle 8x media - but it worked before... :( so what could have possibly happend....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
  14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

A couple other things to do or check. Do you have ample space on your hdd? Have you defragmented your hdd lately? Have you ran a spyware/adware tool lately? Look in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and make sure your drive is DMA and not PIO transfer mode under anvanced settings tab.

Your drive [bold]can[/bold] handle 8x media even 16x media. It just can not burn it at its rated speed.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  15. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B

that is my dvd-burner...i'm now looking for firmware updates....

16. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I second on getting Nero trial - It will at least give you an info tool to give you the exact drive info (speeds - read and write, model # and many more) and tell you about your blank disc. Don't give up on printable media and the printer. I use both and it makes life easier.
    Maybe you had a bad batch of your media. It's happened to me before - 50 spindle - 1st 25 great next 25 hit or miss. It also seems you drive is made by iomega.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

All the problems you have described sounds like media quality problems. Poor quality media is inconsistant. To reproduce vidio files you need to use good, high quality media with an even azo dye layor. Any media will work for data files. Tell us what the media code or MID code is of your media. Try some Maxell or TDK. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatum Datalife Plus are the best but my favorite is Ricohjpn. Have you tried any dvd+r media or is your dvdrw even compatable with +r media? I use only +r media.

Stay away from memorex, generic, and retail store brand media eg: staples, comp usa.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  18. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

I just downloaded dvdinfopro and i'm scanning one of my movies to check for errors...

no, never used dvd+r before - and I don't think I can...

I do have a great amount of space on my hard drive and I recently have defragmented -- haven't ran any adaware or spyware software though....

just looked in the device manager - found what you mentioned Mort - all looks good...

19. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

dvdinfopro is finding quite a few errors on my dvd that won't work....

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Ok now in dvdinfopro, click on drive for supported media read and write features and click on media while media is loaded for the media code and MID.