1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange invalid DVD-ROM troubles...

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Darkpyr0, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Darkpyr0

Darkpyr0 Member

Lately i've been experiancing problems with my DVD-ROM. It runs fine with music cds and cd-roms. However when I try a dvd, it constantly is trying to read the disc and doesn't recognize it. I try to open it in InterVideo's WinDVD Platinum 5 and I get the error: Invalid Drive/Disc. The same message is received when I to access the drive from My Computer, more or less. The problem isn't the disc, since it works on other computers. The strange part is I've tried every dvd in my collection and it actually works but only on Lord of the Rings EE (if i press play fast enough once its in the drive) and a movie called "They Call Me Bruce?" (probably because it's produced by a small company that may have released the dvd on an older format?). Everything else just seems to spin off into infinity... Off the top of my head, the system i'm running the disc is a HP Pavilion xt967, XP Pro, and the drive is a Toshiba SD-M1???, i don't know but I could post it later. I've tried HP's help guide, reinstalling the drivers, checking it in DOS mode, searching for firmware upgrades, but without any success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks anybody!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

might want to look at getting a new dvd rom or even a dvd burner. these prices are in canadian $.
    DVD-ROM Drives
    Hitachi 16X $29
    LG 16X $33
    LG 16X (Black) $37
    Pioneer 16X $39
    DVD Writers
    LG 4163B 16x (Super Multi Format) Info $87
    Sony DVD+/-RW 16X DW-D22A $79
    Pioneer 108D 16X Info NA
    Plextor PX-712A 12X (Retail Box) Info $139

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

How old is your DVD drive and did this just happen all of a sudden or has it been a while since you tried it?

4. Darkpyr0

Darkpyr0 Member

I've had it for close to 3 1/2 years when i bought the PC. The last time I recall it working fully properly was perhaps summer time, but slowly certain movies wouldn't play, receiving the Invalid Drive/Disc error. I shrugged it off, figuring that newer dvds or certain companies were switching to a method not recognized by my drive and it didn't bother me all too much. But now its come to a point where nothing can play. I thought it may be a sort of hardware/software conflict, because my cd-burner drive has always been flippy with burning cds but could read cds fine. I've tried System restore to about two months prior, but no changes were made to the system.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

than it has no shame in dying. get a dvd burner than as you could burn cds besides dvds

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I agree with [bold]ddp[/bold]... I think it's time now to say goodbye to the old and helloooo to a new one! :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005