1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange New Problem with Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Riphound, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Riphound

Riphound Member

(I have a feeling this is going to be one of those easy, "oh, you just need to reset the yada, yada, yada..." things)

For the first time in months, I decided to burn something and it was an older, foreign title that I naively thought would be a quick and easy burn using only Shrink. So I pop it in, let it do it's 2min of analyzing and right away knew something was off: there was red in the space bar.

The compression info area said that it was only at 73%, however that was the lowest it would allow. If I change it from automatic to custom ratios, the slider bar is all the way to the left at 73%! ]

I've tried rebooting the computer, but still get the red in the bar and 73% max shrinkage.

Ideas?

2. onya

onya Guest

73% would be fair quality, choose the reauthor mode, drag the movie only file across into the left pane and do the deep analysis thing. If there is no encryptions present, then the 73% will jump to a much higher level.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Another option would be ripping the files with another program and then opening those in DVD Shrink. Since Shrink is sometimes reluctant to redo an analysis of the same video, you may want to visit the hidden folder where Shrink stores the analysis files and clean house. No problem deleting all the analysis files because Shrink can redo them if necessary and that's what you want to do with the movie you're working with.
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVD Shrink

I'd suggest using RipIt4Me because it does a complete processing of the ripped files for compliance. Don't use the Skip to Shrink if you see the option. Use 1-Click and let it open the files in Shrink for you. DVDFab is another good freeware ripper. If you think you may need a short guide, here's a good one by bbmayo.
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/pacman777guide.pdf
    If you use or intend to use ImgBurn I'd suggest using the Shrink version in the guide.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  4. Riphound

Riphound Member

I will try to dump the folder, per PacMan777's suggestion and see if that does the trick.

Up until now, it has shrunk things down to around 50%. It has never given a bottom limit of 73%. A have to assume any regular user of Shrink would see right away how very bizarre this is. Even if I change the setting from "Automatic" to "Custom", which would release the slider bar, its stays just 73%.

5. Riphound

Riphound Member

And the file dump didn't work...

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Did you do a rip with another program as suggested before deleting the analysis file in the Applications folder?

7. Riphound

Riphound Member

Used DVDFab Decryptor and dumped the file, and it still sits at 73%.

What I need is for someone who knows Shrink well to read this understand how bizarre this 73% number is, that it just doesn't happen like that. Ever. Shrink will always give you the option of going down into the 50's when it comes to re-compression.

I've done some futzing around with Shrink when I wanted to try doing Double Layer (DL) discs and have to wonder if changed something without changing it back.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've used Shrink and know that a 73% compression ratio (27% compression) is do-able with Shrink. If in doubt try deleting the program and reinstalling. The defaults are all for DVD5. There's really not much you could have changed though other than the target size, DVD5, DVD9 or Custom (that's in preferences).

By the way, you don't need Shrink if you're doing a DL backup. RipIt4Me in Full DVD rip mode and open the HD files in ImgBurn.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007