1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange no-solder issue

Discussion in 'PS2' started by darthnip, May 9, 2003.

1. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

i just got another no-solder chip. i was very reluctant since a no-solder fried 2 of my systems before. i installed it, made sure no ribbons were pinched or anything. first time it worked fine, played game for 5-6 minutes. 2 hours later i turned it back on and now the tray is opening and closing on it's own every 5 seconds. like the chip is stuck in switching mode just going open close repeatedly. weird huh? yet another reason i love my fliptop.

2. telescope

telescope Regular member

Darthnip i am also facing the problem of tray but i donot hav the no solder mod
    Yesterday i played my backup and was too lazy to take out the backup from my cd tray( i use Ar2 v2 + SBOX)
    So when i got up today and opened my cd tray it came out slowly and i didnot press anything and it went back in]
    It repeated every time when i pressed the eject
    When i took out the backup and the cd tray went in , next time when i pressed it came out normally and didnot go i n(when there was no cd in the tray)
    Now its working perfectly fine
    Could u tell me wat would hav happened

3. darthnip

hmmmmm? that is odd, escpecially if you dont have a no-solder chip. what chip do you have?

4. telescope

telescope Regular member

i donot hav any modchip installed bt i just hav a Ar2 v2 with SBOX
    Thats it
    On e day i was just try9ng the swap trick
    From then my tray opens slowly
    I will soon show it to the person
    Thax for u r support
    Thank u

5. darthnip

i pulled my chip back out, now everything is fine. i swear i'll never trust another no-solder chip.

6. Chelica

Chelica Member

Hmmm, interesting. I have just installed my No solder modchip Version 4. It works like a charm. It boots up my Vice City backup perfectly. I can even use Gameshark codes. Maybe you did not plug in the ribbon cable tightly. And you said the No solder modchip friend ur system twice?? How so? What were the warning signs before it broke? Any weird noises? Thanks

7. darthnip

no, the cables were in fine. the other chip kept power going to the tray motor when it was out, so it was in a bind, drawing high current, and it popped fuses. you'll get a high pitched whining noise when the tray is out, then the fuse will pop soon. i got a buddy with a V4 no-solder chip, he's never had any trouble out of it.

Last edited: May 10, 2003