1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange problem with my .avi

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Baffe, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Baffe

Baffe Guest

I'm going to try to explain this ptoblem I have. English is not my 1st language so I'll do my best.

When I playback an .avi in my DVD player (Philips DVP630) It works when it comes to starting the movie.
    Even with sub. Problem is that after ~15 frames it jump over 2-3 frames. and so it continues till the movie has ended. You can watch it but it's very irritating.

90% of my .avi files are like that.

I don't know if it is the .avi file or the DVD or even the TV (Philips 32" WS -03). I recall having the same problem when my PC was connected to my TV. Same irritating glitch every other 15-20 frame. It was a long time ago since I had the PC coneccted to my TV tho so Im not sure how it was.

Btw, the .avi works perfect on my PC.

If anyone understand when I've been trying to explain
    and hve some input I'll be more the happy - I'll do the Twist!

Thanks.

//D

2. Baffe

Baffe Guest

anyone knows? Or do I suq at explaining my problem ? ;P

any input is most welcome.

//D

3. reetann

reetann Guest

Does your stand a lone player support the disc?ie + or -
    Not had this problem myself jumping frames I mean.But if the DVD plays on your PC I would suggest you ask a friend to try the disc on their player.Or it could be your laser needs cleaning.Don't think its your TV at fault else you would not be able to watch it.Try a diffenent DVD not avi if that plays ok then that rules out the prob with dvd player.

4. reetann

reetann Guest

Just a thought on your dvd player I have a JVC this doesn't like copies at all plays then start stopping and starting so could be your Philips don't like copies.The much cheaper DVD players seem more compatable with copies.

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

There could be an issue with the AVI - how it was interleaved (and also, how it was burned).
    For maximum playback performance, the AVI audio should be interleaved with the video every 1 video frame.
    Sometimes they are less interleaved ie. every 10 frames, to reduce the size of the final AVI file.
    While this does reduce the file size (only a couple of megabytes) it introduces challenges for the optical device trying to playback the content.
    This can be seen sometimes even trying to playback a burned AVI on a PC optical drive, as opposed to from the HD (which will have no problem).
    The reason is, the optical drive has to reassemble the content from 10 frames of video, then the audio, then 10 more frames of video etc. and play it back smoothly & fluidly.
    The optical drive read head cannot dance around as nimbly as a HD, and must operate without benefit of a 2MB-8MB (or even 16MB) cache, so though the device will try very hard (and get very hot) the playback quality will suffer as you describe ;^(
    The GOOD news is, it is really very easy to demux and re-interleave an AVI, with no loss of quality, no degradation at all - in fact, ease of playback (and perceived quality) will increase :^)
    If you have an AVI you did not make, you really have no clue how it was interleaved! So to troubleshoot these problems, to be methodical, you should quickly re-interleave it to every 1 video frame.
    If the filesize grows, you know you have corrected a problem.
    (The more the file grows, the bigger the problem was.)
    Obviously if it stays the same size, it was already interleaved every frame.
    To perform this task I would use NanDub.
    Make sure both audio and video are set to 'direct stream copy', and direct the output to another HD (or at least another folder) to prevent any overwriting...
    Ask back here if you have any problems with this procedure.
    When you know your AVI is optimally interleaved, burn it for maximum playback performance (which = minimum errors).
    For DVD this means top-quality 8x blanks, burned @ 4x.
    For CDRom, burn at least 32x blanks at maybe 16x (WTF, how long can it take? ;^) Not too long.
    I analysed DVDs burned @ 2x, 4x and 8x (using Nero Disk Quality Test utility) and errors increased steadily with the speed!
    So follow these two guidelines and if not perfect, at least you will know you've done all you can.
    If you have certain 'problem' AVIs, they are the best candidates...
    Let us know how you get along.
    Your English is very good (better than ToiletMan, LoL)
    Regards

6. reetann

reetann Guest

Thanks for advice OGS.I learnt a long time ago that a slower speed gives better results.Now I'm an old girl my son-in-law showed me how to download and convert but was suprised when I told him as he kept deleteing out of sink files to burn at slower speed.He said it took longer but tried and found I was right.I will look for demux and give it a go.
    Yes Baffe your English is good

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

8. Baffe

Baffe Guest

Used NanDub on a few AVI's. It seemed to work on a few of them :) . Some of them are better now, some are not.

But I thank thee for your help.

/salute

:)