1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange problem with spots on backed up DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Vladibus, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Vladibus

Vladibus Member

hello everyone.. thanks for reading my post.

I recently noticed that sometimes when backing up a DVD, the DVD will sometimes have dark discolorations on the bottom.
    I played one movie I burned that has these discolorations, and it played fine. But the discoloration bothers me. Usually it's just a dark spot or 2 on the bottom of the DVD but sometimes it's a streak. I have noticed this when I burn at 4X. When I burn at 2X I don't notice the problem. I will start burning at only 2X.. but does anybody have any idea why this is happening? I have a SONY DRU510A 4X DVD Burner. Thanks.

EDIT: I have noticed the problem on 4X Samsung media and Ritek GO4 4X DVD-R.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

So it appears there's something not good with burning at 4X doesn't it?

What firmware version is your DRU510A running?

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Also, what software and methods are you using to back up your discs?

4. Vladibus

Vladibus Member

Thank for the reply.

I forgot to mention I actually have a Sony DWU14A.
    However I had problems with the original firmware. I did research and was advised to upgrade to the 510_a11a Firmware. Now my system recognized my drive as a DRU510A. The thing is I burned over 100 discs with the new firmware no problem.. I just now started noticing the black spots. I always used Ritek GO4 then I thought I had a bad batch, because of all the black spots. Then I got some Samsungs, same thing. I have tried some TDK's and they seem to be OK.

I use DVD Shrink 3.2 with the Nero option checked when I backup movies.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004