1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange problem with xp after service pack 2 install ?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dlc2000, Aug 25, 2004.

1. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

this is the strangest thing ive seen yet ! im running windows xp pro and just finished installing service pack 2 and every thing seems to work ok , but when i boot up and i see the first screen during bootup while its booting that normally says microsoft windows xp pro or home , it no longer says xp pro anymore nor does it say home , it just says microsoft windows xp . i wonder what is up with that now . i tried rebooting thinking it might correct itself,but it doesnt. i've never seen any thing like this . it always used to say microsoft windows xp pro while booting before the service pack install today . any body got any ideas on this ? i wonder if it altered the mbr in some way that is causing this . everything works fine but the first boot screen isnt right .

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Don't worry about the boot screen! There's practically no problem with your machine, and it's just a boot screen...

In other words, it's a minor thing that no one should be concerned about, unless your love your old boot screen very much.

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

That is part of Service Pack 2 and doesnt effect the comptuer as ToiletMan said.

The boot screen doesnt have the Home or Professional and the Copyright date when SP2 is installed, but its nothing to worry about.

CJC

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i wasnt sure if some thing wasnt right or not . thanks for the replies . now i know its nothing to worry about . i wasnt aware of the boot screen being changed like that until my install of the service pack today . i can say i dont seem to have any problems with service pack which is a good thing . thanks again for answering my dumb question .

5. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

You're welcome!

6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

well at least you can download and install winXP sp2, autoupdate has yet to inform me that i can download and install it, so i tried to manually install it from microsoft.com only to be told that "you have the autoupdate feature turned on, set a time when you would like autoupdate to download and install critical updates", so i set it to update in a hours time....nothing, 2 hours time....nothing and so on and so fourth. my pc is on virtually 24/7 and always connected to net so there shouldnt be a problem if i set it to 10pm or 10am or am/pm whatever its just that nothing has come down my way. hell i even tried to download sp2 off a bittorrent link but even that seems to be down.

anyone else having troubles downloading winXP sp2?? this really has me at a loss =/

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

try to disable auto update and update manually through windows update . i think its telling you that because you have auto update running . hope this helps

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

yeah i tried that as well =P. when i try to manually update with autoupdate turned off it just tells me to turn on autoupdate.

9. CJC

CJC Regular member

You can order a free Service Pack 2 CD from microsoft by visting this site, just enter your details and you should get in a few weeks. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/cd/confirm.aspx

You can also download the Network Installation Package from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en which is ~ 250mb, this is mainly for IT Professionals or people updating more then one computer.

But if you cant get it working by going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    try either one of the options above.

CJC

10. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

that would diffenatly be my last resort....diffenatly...which i really do not want to do

well that doesnt include me im just looking for the simple winXp home sp2 update so i ont think i'll be getting that.

what i really want to know is that if anyone has had the same problem as me or they have a real solution for the prob but dont get me wrong dlc2000 and cjc i appreciate your suggestions i just think its slack on M$'s behalf that its not a quick and easy update to download and install.

cheerz

11. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

well nevermind, i set it to download in a hours time 1 hour ago and vola.....finally it works =/, still its bloody strange...but i spose i cant complain if in the end it works, lets just hope its a first and last time problem.

cheerz for the suggestions anyways folks ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    SNOOCH TO THE MUTHA fusking NOOCH!!! -Jay-[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2004
  12. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

good to hear that . i have not had any problems with it other than i didnt know it changed the boot screen which it does and now i know that . i hope everything pans out for you as well !

13. CJC

CJC Regular member

Glad you finally got it working.

Just remember it was only put on Windows Update about a week ago, and your not the only one that is trying to download it, so obviously there will be some delays.

CJC

14. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Has the P2P issues with SP2 been solved yet?

15. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

and what p2p issue was that??

16. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i think it's something to do with the firewall that comes with sp2 not allowing p2p programs internet access. but i can't remember; i read it somewhere about a month ago.

17. CJC

CJC Regular member

Here is a list of programs that dont seem to work properly with SP2 at the moment.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

Simple way is if you have a seperate firewall, just disable Microsoft's Inbuilt firewall, thats what i do, simple, quick and easy :D.

CJC

18. cgram7

cgram7 Member

I have SP2 with windfows firewall enabled and i als have norton internet security firewall enabled still downloading from BT 60kbs+

19. Crysdad

Crysdad Guest

After installing SP2 I had to Re-register my Windows Media Player 9.0 and Plus! Digital Media Edition programs as if they were fresh installs. Has anyone else had this problem? Also my KX Driver for my Sound Blaster Audigy sound card Registry entry disappred & I had to reinstall the drivers.

20. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

havent had any problems after installing except for what crysdad said about re-registering win media player 9, wasnt really a problem more of an annoyance. my own software firewall asked me if i still wanted it as my default firewall which i did so havent had any probs with that either. the one thing i like about sp2's new security center is the pop-up blocker which surprisingly seems to work alot better than the google pop-up blocker which sometimes lets the odd pop-up ad get thru.