1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange PS2 problems - help!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mrAction, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mrAction

mrAction Member

OK, I got a used PS2 that worked fine when I tested it. But its weird....

1) It wont boot games when its horizonal, only when I stand it up vertically

2) When games do load, sometimes they work fine, but other times they take very very long times to load.

3) Certain games, like Gallop Racer 2001 work 100% every time, but games like Mercenaries work only 50%, while Final Fantasy X, only the rendered cutscenes give me trouble (they studder)

Im speculating it has to do with the laser. I read somewhere that with older models like mine (I have the 3001) the laser needs to warm up. I dunno. Can anyone help?

-M

2. mrAction

mrAction Member

BTW, there are no mods or burned games being used here, all originals. Also, I dont get a "Disc Read Error." Just a blank screen.

3. aslamraja

aslamraja Member

quite possibly the laser neads a good old clean. have you opened the ps2 and cleaned the laser? try this first and see if it helps.

4. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Yeah, try that. It's basically the only way to do so. Go Here,[http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars] You Might Not Be Getting the "Disc Read Error" Message, but it's obvious your laser is playing up.

5. mrAction

mrAction Member

Well, I tried cleaning it according to a few FAQs I found, didnt do it. Then I tried adjusting the laser by turning the white cog thingy, and that seemed to do it. It works better than before! What I cant figure out is why it worked perfectly when I tested it out in the guys apartment when I bought it, and then got all screwed up when I brought it to my apt. Especially the fact that it only worked when I stood it up vertically, and now it works horizontally. Weird.

6. aslamraja

aslamraja Member

im glad you have it sorted out mate