1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange System Hang w/VCDEasy

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Stringrzr, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Stringrzr

Stringrzr Member

I've been burning VCDs on my home system using last free VCDEasy release for a while. All of a sudden, VCDEasy hangs consistently after burning 70MB. I tried 3 different brands of blanks, all of which have burned fine before yesterday. I can still burn audio CDs with the Plex in my home system w/o problems. I tried putting the burner, a Plextor 24/10/40A into another PC at work and it burns using VCDEasy fine. So it would seem that the burner is ok and the problem is in my home system. I don't have any other problems with it though. My C: is low on free space but I have 50GB free on D: and that's where all the VCD source and output files are. What could possibly cause VCDEasy to hang after burning exactly 70MB if teh burner is ok?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Is your burner compatible with CDRDAO? (see VCDEasy's site) Otherwise I suggest a plain thing: use Image Recorder and make a bin/cue image.
    After that, burn it whith what you like more (CDRWin, Nero, Alcohol 120%...).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  3. Stringrzr

Stringrzr Member

I've been burning VCDs with that burner in that system for years. As I said in the post, I moved it to another system and was able to burn with VCDEasy. So, obviously the burner is compatible with CDRDAO. I realized last night the common denominator in the problem was the MPG file that I was using as the source for the VCD. It played ok with Media player but something about it caused glitches in the VCD. When burned with another burner, it glitched badly at one spot. I don't know why the Plextor/CDRDAO combo refuses to burn that ONE file but I did confirm the Plex/CDRDAO can burn VCDs made with VCDEasy sourced from other MPG files. Extremely strange!

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

My question is: and the media? If you open the D:\AVSEQ01.DAT file of the VCD with BSPlayer is the movie correct?

5. Stringrzr

Stringrzr Member

Thanks for the replies. No, it isn't the media either. For testing, I used a CDRW. When I moved the Plex to another system for VCDEasy testing, I used the same disc (but a different source file) and there were no problems. As for playing the .dat file directly, I didn't try that. The disc, created with a different burner using write-once media, glitched on my DVD player TV. PowerDVD wouldn't load it from the Plex. It loaded it from the drive that created it but glitched badly when played. The source MPG file on HD played fine. The MPG file that was causing the problem was the 1st part of a video to be split over 2 VCDS (created from DVD using SmarRipper, DVD2AVI, TmpgEnc, split with TmpgEnc MGEG Tools). The file for the 2nd part, split from the same large file, burned thru VCDEasy w/o problems. I deleted the 1st split and recreated it with TmgpEnc Mpeg tools and it still wouldn't burn thru VCDEasy/CDRDAO on the Plex. The other burner burned it without hanging at max speed but the disc glitched. I reburned at a slower speed and that seemed to work. Confusing, I know. Something about the MPG file must be causing the problem. The 1st split of the MPG is the ONLY file the problem happens (or has ever happened) with. Stray cosmic rays I guess.

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Really strange. For safety, could you encode it back with TMPGenc with settings___select range (F+1---->end (-1) where F id the last frame of tour 1st CD 's movie (in don't know it, open the movie with TMPGenc. During re-encoding it to your movie's format (PAL or NTSC?) it will show 0/F in the main page to show its progress)?
    After this test, you can delete all the output files you made with TMPGenc.

7. Stringrzr

Stringrzr Member

I don't understand. Are you suggesting that I re-encode skipping the 1st and last frame of the NTSC movie? Why?