1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Torrent Problem

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by woody1982, Mar 15, 2007.

1. woody1982

woody1982 Guest

Hi everyone, as you will see from the number of posts I am a newbie and so I am sorry if this is asking a pointless question. The problem I have is that I can download some torrents at a ridiculously high rates when I get the torrent from a particular site and then will not get a connection at all on other torrents from a different site. I am using utorrent (pronounced mutorrent but can't find the key for the the correct symbol) and it tells me that the ports on my router aren't open. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the work my other half does, the router and the isp is provided by her work and has been locked down so that I can't play around with the settings.

Please could someone just explain to me how some torrents will work perfectly at very high rates and others will not work at all and if there is anything i can do about it. I know the answer will probably be no, but programs such as limewire (which i think uses p2p from memory) work fine through the router.

Any ideas?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and reply.

Woody1982

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Were do you get the torrents that download at highspeeds from? And the ones that download slowly? Are you doing anything when downloading? Is anyone else on the network doing anything?

3. woody1982

woody1982 Guest

the high speed torrents come from http://mrtwig.net and the slow ones comes from anywhere else on the internet. sometimes they will not even let me connect to any seeds or peers even if the torrent is fully healthy with loads available.

as for other network activity, this happens even with nobody else on the network. someone i live with has just connected his mac to the network and can download torrents fine...i think i am going to do a format and reload and start again as i suspect i have something on my install which is stopping this from working unless you have any other ideas?

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If nothing else works and you havent reinstalled XP in a while I would say go for it. I usually do a clean install of XP every year or so.

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

First idea would be to try port 1720 (VoIP port) which is usually unblocked.
    Second, read the sticky that has all the guides, and look for Rav009's guide, read it and use it.
    And get your hand on the lvllord tool evid patcher *google it*.
    Btw, it's either Utorrent *pronounced the way it's written* or Microtorrent, which you type out with alt+m *Āµtorrent*.

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

7. woody1982

woody1982 Guest

thanks very much for all of your help. think i am going to try a re-install and then give it another go from fresh as i suspect i have some bad things hiding on my system as it has been a while since it got built