1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming Video Via Homeplug Network

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Binkie, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Binkie

Binkie Member

I just know that someone out there can help me......I have a 200AV Homeplug Network and want to stream (rather than download) video from one PC to another. Devolo have been as helpful as usual and have just said that I need VLC or similar streaming programme. Well, I already have that (on both PCs, actually) but they have not told me what to do with it. Looking within VLC I see streaming wizards but they don't seem to apply to a homeplug network. Has anyone already successfully done this?

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I always just used Windows Media Player. I didn't do anything special just shared the files, click and play.

The computers on both ends have to be a good standard computer for this to work. I've found that Vista does it a lot better than the previous version. Especially for the streaming video over a wireless connection.

3. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

4. Binkie

Binkie Member

Thanks very much to you both for replying but I still seem to have a problem. With the Devolo Homeplug, I can start the 'Easyshare' programme on each computer and I can then see the shared files within Easyshare itself. So I know that in theory I have a Network going on - and I can actually print via that Easyshare Network too. Trouble is, the only option within Easyshare is to download files from one PC to another, not just stream them. I cannot find this Easyshare 'Network' on the receiving PC at all so the only way I can 'see' the files is via Easyshare (and then as explained I cannot stream them). If I open up Media Player or VLC on the 2nd PC, I cannot see or open the shared files. It's enough to make a grown man weep.

5. Binkie

Binkie Member

Neither of those things worked. I still have the option to download the file (therefore I know the network is OK and so is filesharing) but not to stream. When I tried to setup VLC as per the website instructions on the link, it crashed my network. Streaming doesn't work via Media Player, either. There must be an easy answer to this, surely?

6. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I think both of the recommended programs for streaming the video are dependent on Windows ability to share files. What I think you need to do is change the current network settings until you are able to see the other computers on the network.

The last time I had problems with not being able to see other computers on my network I either had the wrong type of setting design for my network. You might want to consider firewalls as a problem. Firewall can prevent you from seeing the other computers. Now that I'm thinking about firewalls, it seems most likely that that is your problem. You can share with easy share but nothing else so I'm thinking when that was installed the firewall got setup to allow that program to share files.

7. Binkie

Binkie Member

Thanks for responding - I can see both PCs on the network fine and I can actually download files from one to the other via the Easyshare. I just can't stream, for some reason!

8. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Can you copy files using Windows Explorer too?

Posting more information about your setup might help. OS and more information about your hardware.

9. Binkie

Binkie Member

OK, thanks very much, this is what I have. A PC and a laptop, both running Vista, with Devolo Homelink 200AV (mains plug networking) attached. Both PC & laptop are high spec. Both also have VLC media player on as well as the Microsoft players & media centre. File & Printer sharing is turned on and the appropriate folders & files have sharing permission. In order to use the Homelink you can use their supplied sharing software, Easyshare. When I turn Easyshare on on both PCs, I can download files from one to the other and even print from my laptop onto the printer which is connected to the PC. And when I turn Easyshare on, I can 'see' both PC and laptop. But I cannot seem to stream even though I have tried both Windows media player & VLC and turned streaming on in those programmes. Devolo simply say "our dLAN devices only substitute a network cable, so you can stream in the same way as over a network cable. There is no special streaming configuration for our devices" and nothing more, so that is no help!