1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck on benq guide

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by JadeFox, Dec 4, 2007.

1. JadeFox

JadeFox Member

Lo all

im in the middle of hacking my benq.

using the 'total noob tutorial.pdf' im stuck on:

Step 11. You will be greeted with a similar screen to this when booting into DOS (show some wierd does thing that says about mouse installed on mouseport)

i get a 98 screen and then C:/ is this normal?

Also i have NOT powered on my xbox because it says not to, how am i meant to read it if it is not on? should i turn it on?

2. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 Regular member

You're using dosflash16 right? I think when you get to that stage, go ahead and power up the 360. Then you can execute the dosflash command from whatever drive letter your bootdisk/flasdrive is on.
    Once that happens, it will scan for the available port that the 360 dvdrom has and should see it. If it doesn't or brings you back to a dosprompt, try the command again since the unit might not have powered up far enough for dosflash to catch it.

Keep following the guide and make sure you backup the original key once or twice and VERIFY it back in windows to make sure it was recovered correctly. (you can also verify that the port I/O address that dosflash found was correct using msinfo32)
    Don't want to end up with a 360 paperweight!

3. JadeFox

JadeFox Member

Thanks a lot for your reply very helpful but:

1) what should i urn on first pc or xbox and for how long should i turn one on before turing the other on?

2)the guide doesnt say how to create 2 copy of your original firmware, how do i do this?

4. JadeFox

JadeFox Member

i cant figure this out please someone help, im just getting a pain command line (Dos) screen with nothing special on it like the guide says i should be getting

edit* i need more help on this raid stuff,

if i go into Bios > Integrated peripherals > SATA-II config > SATA-II RAID Function:

do i have this enabled or disabled, also i have SATA II 1 and 2 Controllers Disabled which were enabled.

a little help with this also please

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  5. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 Regular member

You can power on the pc first, and then power on the 360. It's not like it has to be super simultaneous or anything. It's just letting the 360 bootup for a few seconds before running dosflash so the drive is getting power and able to be read.

I'm not sure about the raid in your case. I left all the IDE devices disabled and onboard junk except for the SATA ports on my PC. (since I have a nforce 4 board that's compatible with this flashing procedure)

I physically disconnected all the IDE devices on the PC motherboard before I started it up INCLUDING the sata harddisk. At least it seemed this way, dosflash would only find the benq drive.

When you get into the dos prompt, you can type "dir" to make sure it's the drive letter of your bootdisk and that you have dosflash on it properly.
    Start up the 360, run dosflash, it should find the drive. I forget but at some point you most likely will have to power the benq on and off for it to see/read it, but follow the guide for this.

dosflash will give you the option to READ the firmware, and you should let it. It will probably ask you if you want to copy the serial key that it finds to which you should go ahead and do. I had an issue at this point where dosflash would not let data be written to my thumb drive so I had to do the flash with a floppy disk.
    Make sure you verify the serial number bin appears legit/not corrupted by going back into windows. (may have to change bios back/connect hard disk) and use the 360 tools. (links and info somewhere in this forum) I believe it's with the same toolset that will CREATE the new key for you, which is the next step, but before that, BACKUP the original.bin
    in a few places on your computer so you don't lose it in case you ever want to flash back to the one that came with the 360.

Then you'll go back into dos like before, have dosflash find the Benq drive again, and have it WRITE the new key over the original one. It takes a few minutes to complete, and then it should all be done. It's been awhile since I did this so follow the guide! If it's not clear, search for other guide faqs. Some are a little more clear than others.

6. JadeFox

JadeFox Member

well i have given up on using Dosflash32 as it freezes andonce eventually unfreezes bring up no gui.

any one dosflash16 i type dir and everything is there.

no i type

C:\>C:\DosFlash r 8000 1 a0 1 4 c:\orig.bin 0 (dont know if 8000 is right but that my first i/o)

and i get the message saying 'MTK Vendor intro failed on port 0x8000. if you choose to resend the commman you should turn the drive off and on after you pressed "yes".
    Do you want to resend the command until the drive responds? (Y/N)?

i push Y and i get Status: 0xFF and its staying like that.

anything ive done right or wrong

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

7. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 Regular member

I should have clarified that my instructions were for dosflash16. I had the same freeze/lockup issues using dosflash32.
    You've done right so far but it's just waiting for you to cycle to 360's power on and off. If you were starting over it would be basically like this:

Don't worry about that long command string since you're guessing the port anyway. Just boot into dos at the point you're at right now. Let it boot to the command prompt and type "dosflash" and nothing else. It will automatically run and search for the port. If it comes back with nothing found or brings you back to dos prompt; wait a couple seconds and type "dosflash" again, if you get that "MKT vendor" thing that asks you to "resend command? Y/N",cycle the xbox's power off, then back on again and THEN press "Y". It should locate the correct port, or show you the ports it finds and the Benq will be on one of them.

It should be easy from then on. Finding the dang drive is the hardest part of this whole flashing guide.

8. JadeFox

JadeFox Member

HOLY CRAP it did something! THANK YOU!!!

although i have disabled all my ide/sata it listed them all anyway

now i get mtk vendor 0xB000 (Maybe i misread as 8000?)

i read and saved my FW 3 times just to make sure :p

now i dont know wether to choose fast or quiet or wat the difference is

also what is the prog that checks if your FW was ripped ok?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  9. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 Regular member

The fast and quiet is supposed to force the drive to spin at max speed vs. a slower max speed, respectivly. I'm not sure if it does it ALL the time, as i've heard it's only for initial game loading but this may or may not be true. Some people think that the quiet/slower speed flash keeps the drive lasting longer by not letting the laser work so hard to read the disc, and also keeps the noise down by less acceleration noise. Countering that, some others claim that the slower disc speed might slow down games such as level loading, transition between scenes/levels and textures.

I made mine fast just in case gameplay could be affected and things seem fine. All my backups work. Occasionly I might get a lockup in a game but it's been non-critical stuff like tutorial movie clips.

The program to check for valid bin: I don't remember the name, but I think it's part of the xbox tools package available on this forum. I think there's a link to it. It's easy to use and just runs in windows. You run the program and browse to your bin and it checks if it appears valid. It might be the same program that you use to make the new .bin file. I can't remember :p