1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stumped on DMA/PIO issue

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by liz630, Feb 22, 2008.

1. liz630

liz630 Member

Hi everyone,

I recently replaced my DVD burner with a Lite-On DH-20A4P burner; at the same time I added a Lite-On DH-16D2P ROM to the bottom bay (previously unused). Jumpers are both set to cable select. Both drives are new.

The bottom drive (the rom) had garbled, choppy playback on both DVDs and CDs, originals and copies both. Thinking it was a defective drive, I swapped them around. It plays fine on the top connector.

Investigating further, I found that my Secondary IDE Channel, where both drives reside, is as follows: Device 0 (burner): Device Type: Auto Detection (greyed out); Transfer Mode: DMA if available; Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2. On Device 1 (the ROM) however, the current transfer mode is stuck on PIO. I think that may well be my audio problem (but I'm open to suggestions!) I've been messing with it for 2 days, and run out of ideas. This is what I've done so far to get it back into DMA mode:

-First thing, obviously, try and reset thru the buttons on Advanced Settings
    -Uninstalled drivers
    -Used reset tools from Dell, Microsoft and one other place I can't remember
    -Deleted registry keys for Master & Slave IdDataCheckSum
    -Changed the jumpers to Master/Slave from Cable Select.

Of course, after every change I rebooted. Always backed up the registry, etc. Nothing worked. When I changed the jumpers to Master/Slave, neither drive was recognized, I had no secondary channel, just my lone HDD sitting in the Primary. I put it back to cable select.

I must have taken the drives out 10 times. Everything's clean and securely seated. I've run out of ideas; I've read references to BIOS adjustments, but I've never done one before and would need to be helped through it.

Specs: Dell Dimension 2400/Celeron 2.4mghz/80GHDD/1.2G RAM/Windows XP sp2.

I hope I wasn't out of my league putting this in the advanced thread; if so, please forgive me :)

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
    Liz

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. liz630

liz630 Member

A follow-up on my post....

I think it's fixed. For the heck of it, I went into BIOS - the secondary slave drive was set to off; I toggled it to Auto, and DMA is back.

3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member