1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid 60 day rule!!!

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Dristan, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Dristan

Dristan Member

I thought that I would contribute my experience with WLAN dongles of the Zydas generic type, but I can't add it to any of the appropriate threads... Anyway - I recently tried upgrading my drivers and got the kind of reaction that has been described here. The driver would start and quickly disappear and not show in the tray, so it could not be set up. After trying many reboots, disabling security software, registry cleaning and so on, I discovered that the driver was set up for another manufacturer's device. By reading the .ini file, I could see that the setup was intended for another manufacturer's device. The driver site had the driver labeled for my device, but it got it wrong. I have seen on Linux sites that the drivers are often interchangeable by editing the .ini file, but I am not that brave. I just re-installed the driver from the manufacturer's web site and returned to a working, happy system. Maybe some site moderator will put this in the proper place? (No, I don't mean the recycle bin!)

2. mingman82

mingman82 Member

Wow your really far off on where to put this thread...

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

..so are you trying to get WLAN working in linux, or what ??..

4. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

I think he put this in the PSP section because he's trying to get his PSP online with the Zydas USB dongle--please correct me if I'm wrong.

I wasn't aware that Zydas made drivers for Linux. Those of us here in the PSP section wouldn't be much help to you, even if you are setting it up for your PSP; I'd move it to a forum for Linux.

If you do manage to get it working and need help connecting a PSP to it for Wi-Fi or online play, feel free to come back here later and we'll be able to help you.

5. Dristan

Dristan Member

I was trying to reply to an old thread from someone who was wanting to use a WLAN connection to their PSP and was having trouble. The 60 day rule prevented me - a new user from replying to the old thread. Since it appeared on the first page of my google search, I thought that others might benefit from my experience. I am not trying to use the dongle in Linux, but there are drivers written for Linux (both come with my installation disk). The point about Linux is that their forums mention that it is possible to use drivers from different manufacturers for your USB WLAN dongle, but you have to edit the .ini file so that the driver will talk to your device. Otherwise, the driver will not work with problems like the ones reported before - the device configuration program does not stay open, nor does it minimize to the tray. I cannot reccommend editing the .ini file, but you can look at it to see if it is configured for your manufacturer's device. Just open the .ini file with wordpad and look at the name given to the device in it. If it does not match your device's name, search the net for the proper driver.