1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stupid dvd question about dvd sizes

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by phxoricst, Jan 17, 2007.

1. phxoricst

phxoricst Member

Ok I have 2 legal backed up ISO of 2 dvd's I want to put them on to a blank DVD-R but once I make an ISO of the original dvd the ISO size is over 4.7GB one is 6.03GB and the other is 8.28GB I don't get it isn't 4GB the standard in dvd size?! am i missing something = (

2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Your current blank DVD-R(DVD-5)is only 4.7GB and of course you won't be able to make a one to one copy from your ISO which is apparently ripped from DVD-9(8.5GB)unless you use a compression program.You can use a program called DVD Shrink(freeware)to compress the size of your iso to fit a standard DVD-R but the quality will suffer if the rate of compression is too high,but you can get rid of trailers,undesired audio and subs,some features,etc to make the rate of compression as low as possible,for the benefit of quality.Now if you want to keep the integral of your iso and without any lost in quality as the original ones,then you may opt for dual layer discs(DVD-9)which will then be able to contain the whole iso without any compression.If you want to go with dual layer discs,you can go with Verbatim ones,they are the best ones in dual layer discs.

Vincent.

3. phxoricst

phxoricst Member

thank you soooo much = )) you where a great help can I get the dual layer dvd 9 verbatim disc at like cvs or best buy? or is it some thing rare i have to get online or something?

4. phxoricst

phxoricst Member

other quick question is when i try to open a iso in dvd shrink i get an error saying "dvd shrink has encountered an error and can not continue
    invalid mds file contents" = /

5. phxoricst

phxoricst Member

sorry for the triple post i do not know how to edit my post here yet but anyway i got it to work making a virtual drive and mounting the image ^^

6. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

You're welcome!Glad you got it sorted,to edit your post,it's simple.You just go to your post and up on the right side of the message you just post,there's "link to this message" and next to it in the right is a little picture represented by a little notepad with a pen with it,that's the icon for editing your post.

To answer your question whether you'll be able to get Verbatim dual layer discs at cvs or best buy,sincerely i can't answer you that simply because i'm not from the states,i'm only from Mauritius(don't know if you ever heard of that,it's an island).But normally i think you should be able to get it there if they sell blank discs,they are not that kind of rare,but they are famous,if not then you just have to keep looking and also to check for some great deals if have.

Happy searching!

Vincent.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  7. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  8. phxoricst

phxoricst Member

ok thanks a lot! you guys are great!!