1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid people working on computers

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bird1234, Apr 30, 2004.

1. bird1234

bird1234 Member

http://sct.staghosting.com/index.html

I found this site while surfing the web. I can actually say that I have seen some of this before. That's what you get for working at a building where the fastest computer is a P2 450, and that's not even the server. Also the other big problem is that 90% of the office is older women (over 40). I'm actually the youngest in the office (22). Scary isn't it?

Go ahead and post some of the wonderful stupid stuff you've seen in you time while working on computers.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That was hilarious! My favorite was the one where they suspended the hard drive whith duct tape so the IDE cable would reach :) Takes all kinds I guess.

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

That was good. Some of the ones I have seen are not being able to print. The printer was off.

The foot petal wouldn`t work for increasing the speed of the machine (its a mouse not a sewing machine petal!)

Also coffee cup stains on the CD rom drive, its for disks not to hold the coffee.

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Would have been nice if someone told me that before :p

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

A few years ago, when I was interviewing for a networking job at a financial institution, I had a conversation with a 2nd level support tech there who told me about an experience he had. Being 2nd level support, he of course got problems that had been escalated by 1st level techs who had given up on a problem. One day he got a call transferred to him from a woman who said she needed to know how to empty the bank in her computer. He decided that he should just go downstairs (he only supported users in the same building as him) and see what she was talking about.

When he got there, she explained that she had been working for the company for almost a year, and during that time she had put all her spare change in the "bank" in her PC and it had gotten full so she wanted to empty it so he asked her to show him this "bank". This was in about 2000, and she had an AST desktop (one of the old ones that's like a tower turned on it's side) with a floppy drive and CD-ROM on the right side of the case. Below the CD-ROM was a slot the width of a 5.25" bay. For the entire time she had worked there, she had been dropping pieces of metal inside her PC, and the only reason she managed to avoid shorting out the motherboard was that it was placed to the opposite side of the case as the slot.

Needless to say, he quickly got her a new PC with no openings that she could put anything into.

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That's just a vicious rumor. Trust me, it's for your coffee. ;)

8. bird1234

bird1234 Member

It's nice knowing the fact that I am not the only person to deal with the unintelligent, even though they do harm to our good friends, the computers. If there was only a way to prevent these people from touching them. Hmmmmmmm...

I have to see a picture of Praetor's and Oriphus's computers. I mean come on, Praetor trys giving his machine caffine to make it go faster, while Oriphus uses a "modded" water cooling system. I don't know who is worse.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon XP-Mobile 2500, oc'd 10*233
    512 OCZ EL Dual Channel PC4200
    2x120GB SE WD, 2 Maxtor 160GB, 1 WD 36gb Raptor
    Radeon 9500pro-->9700pro 400 GPU 350 Ram
    Liteon 401s, Liteon 48X24X48X16 Combo Drive

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can reall[/small]

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  9. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

i nearly laughed my head off

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Praetor also has a water cooling system, I think. I find the whole idea of that a little scarry.
    The Bank think is too funny. What would she have done if Computer help had switched systems on her. I would have liked to have found that computer. Give her a couple weeks, just consider it a Tech suport tip. Tips at any job is good.

11. Praetor

No water cooling for me. I hate what the cooling unit does to the aesthetics. Ive only seen one sleek water cooling unit but that goes on the top of the case... cant quite do that with 92mm fans venting out top now can we? :)

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - if by "modded" water cooling system - u mean i piss on it when it gets to hot, then you are correct lol. My computer is simple, just like me:

I have a p4 2.53GHz
    2GB DDR RAM
    160 GB 7200 HDD
    64MB AT1 9700 PRO
    and i couldnt tell you about the rest....

13. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Praetor, what type of Raid do you have on those HD`s?

Oriphus, that can be good. The PC is probally ok, but how can you stand the smell. that would be too much. It would just be like pouring American beer all over it the way you drink.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - hey are u implying im an alco lol - i actually ahve cut way back down on the drink since i started seriously training for fitness and muscle....

3 hours everyday in the gym on top of everything else lol

15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Is that the name of your pub? Sounds good The Gym, I am used to the Bomber, Poets, The Fox. I haven't heard of the Gym. I will have to visit it when in Ireland :)

16. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Oriphus, yeah i was kindin refering to that and your other idea. Just pour water on it if it gets hot. And one other thing, hockey is superior to your football.

17. Praetor

None.... hate that shit. Ive had 3 RAID cards fail on me in succession (well in all fairness 1 was a onboard chip rather than a card). Two of those three times, everything was toasted (both as 0, 1 and 0+1 ... or was it 1+0 .... bloody hell). Now I'm running with no RAID at all (i.e., using the raid as an ide controller -- and yes ive tried ide controllers -- and they dont seem to work the way i want them to -- im very picky about the physical arrangement of my drives and the amount of folding i have to do to preserve effective airflow). ARGGH! Im gonna stay far away from RAID for ever now... i dont like this "raid card failing + all attatched hdds toasted deal" ... ill give it a shot again when i get around to trying R5.

Hehe... hehe... hehe.... hehe... *uncontrollable giggling ensues* ... actually ive recently discovered the Grad House (even tho i am sooooooooooo undergrad :p ... a side benifit of attending/hosting conferences). To be honest Im not a big fan of Poets (or Bomber for that matter even though i dont mind Bomber much -- too bad it was closed for like 6 months ... ugh; found a nice pub called Weavers Arms -- right in my residence :p).

18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Shit - ive been caught out - gotta think of a new way to sound fit - damn!!....

Oh and soccer is far more superior to Ice Hockey. Why do you think they have to stop so much in Ice Hockey instead of being free flowing. Its because they all get confused about what their at. It cant be hard - the rink is that small - just skate damn it and hit that we puck. The hardest job in Ice Hockey, inst the hockey, its the camera mans job trying to find that damn puck so fast....

19. bird1234

bird1234 Member

see oriphus, it's a fast paced game, you said it right there. Now to get hit in the head with a puck or a soccer ball. I'd rather get hit in the head with a soccer ball than a puck anyday of the week. It's just i'll play a more dangerous game called hockey, instead of the wussy game of soccer.

20. bird1234

bird1234 Member

see oriphus, it's a fast paced game, you said it right there. Now to get hit in the head with a puck or a soccer ball. I'd rather get hit in the head with a soccer ball than a puck anyday of the week. It's just i'll play a more dangerous game called hockey, instead of the wussy game of soccer.