1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stuttering video capture in ATI All in Wonder

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by stulogan, Apr 20, 2005.

1. stulogan

stulogan Member

I'm trying to backup some old aerobics videos to dvd. i have tried everything and I'm getting a 1-2 second loop of video. Sound off the tape is perfect.

My system is an AMD based system qitrh a AMD 2500 (1.87 ghz)and an AIW 9800 pro.

My video machine is an old GE vhs player/recorder.

Any suggestions would be great.

Stewart

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

What capture card?
    What capture software?
    What file format?
    What aspect ratio?
    What compression?
    What hookups (composite, S-video, coax)?

3. stulogan

stulogan Member

What capture card? (All in Wonder 9800 Pro)
    What capture software? (Windows Movie Maker and/or Cybermedia Power Producer)
    What file format? (Default? I'm stupid. I did not know how to specify. I know that some programs prefer avi. The most I could find out last night was that WMM was recording in the highest quality available.)
    What aspect ratio? (720 by 480 I believe)
    What compression? (No compression that I am aware of)
    What hookups (composite, S-video, coax)? (Composite cables, one each for video and left-right audio, which are fed into Radeons' input dongle which mounts onto the s-video jack of my 9800 pro.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Cool, thanks for the consice answers :)

WMM sucks. Stick with PowerProducer.
    720x480 is probably too large, requiring too much bitrate for your card and computer to handle. Try 352x480 (half D1) at about 4000kbps for mpg.
    If it's avi, then things get complicated.
    Compression would be what the final file is saved as. Is it an avi, wmv or mpg?

5. stulogan

stulogan Member

Cool, thanks for the consice answers :) >> Thank you for the concise questions! :)<<
    Compression would be what the final file is saved as. Is it an AVI, wmv or mpg?

>> The file is in MPG. There have been no problems with other tapes I've attempted in the past week. I suspect that the culprit is some sort of copy protection. I have read about Macrovision. If this is indeeed the problem then I am wondering if there are simple workarounds for it?

Stu.

PS. WMM does have it's problems. I love the transition effects but cannot understand why they don't make it easier to save files in a format easliy used for DVD. They seem to want video used for anything else but DVD? Strange! Also the program locks up my whole dang computer sometimes.... Whay does MS even bother?

Stu

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

MS just loves their proprietary formats.
    If you want something that does what WMM does, but does it with mpg, then try Sony Vegas Movie Studio 4 (or Vegas 5), Mainconcept EVE, Pinnacle Studio, etc.

ATI All-in-wonder and macrovision capture guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/capture/atiavi/atiavi.htm

7. stulogan

stulogan Member

Hello Rebootjim. You are the man! Thank you for your reccomendations in software and the ATI link.

Stu