1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub, center

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by rab48124, May 18, 2010.

1. rab48124

rab48124 Regular member

Question, I'm moving to a small apt. for about 18 months.I have a YamahaRX-V730 with Bose satellite speakers (2) and Bose 201's has my rear speakers.two questions I only have a bose sub (non powered. and no center speaker. Any ideas on the center or the sub? I haven't got too much to spend. Any thoughts? ps what type of wire is has good has Monster at a better price?

2. lubricant

lubricant Guest

my recommendation is to skip a subwoofer while staying in a small apt. that SPL will be beating on your walls, and probably resonating to your neighbors dwellings. try getting some 2 way bookshelf or something, with a 6.5 or 8 inch driver. if you must have bass, maybe you can wire from the speaker outs to the sub then wire from that to your bose. some let you do this. infinity makes fine quality centers for abt 95-120 US or so, but they lack mid to lower bass. polk audio has similar prices for some of their speakers but some can be el cheapo and the sound is too colored for my taste, so listen before you buy if possible. or even just get another bookshelf with good sound and use it as a center. as far monster cable (speaker wire?) goes you can zip to the hardware store and get 12 Ga. lamp cord. the only real difference is it has a thinner plastic jacket. if you mean rca's i recently have been getting rcas from the music supply store; ie sam ash or the like. look for a decent thickness and (i think) wound strands, less chance of interference. keep in mind alot of stuff the high dollar monster cables have as "features" are good, but kind of unneccessary. gold plated is a plus, too.

craigslist or ebay (maybe amazon) since you dont want to spend alot

3. rab48124

rab48124 Regular member

Thanks for you thoughts. Bob