1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subtitle files not supported

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by MCW, Mar 24, 2007.

1. MCW

MCW Member

hello,
    I live in France and have WINDOWS XP in French on my computers because I had no choice. When I click on whatever eng sub folder I've downloaded along with a movie torrent I get an error message from ms saying that WINDOWS does not support the file extension for my language, period. Does anyone know a fix for this?
    thx

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If the subs are in a subfolder (sub as in subsidiary not subtitle) then they there is a decent chance that they are VOBSubs (.sub/.idx) which are bitmap based so have nothing to do with languages or anything like that.

You said when you click on the folder though? So you can't even open it to see what extension?

You are running Home or Pro? Because Pro supports MUI and home doesn't.

3. MCW

MCW Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I have the home edition and I have no idea what MUI is.
    What usually happens is the following: I click on the folder and it opens. I see the movie icon and that's fine. I also see the subtitle file which is always the icon windows uses for file extensions that it doesn't support. At first I clicked on all the files and got the error message I described, no matter what the subtitle file extension, including the ones you mentioned.
    In any case, at least 95% of the foreign-language films available as torrents come with an .srt file, which windows particularly doesn't like.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well typically srt, idx and sub aren't associated with anything since they aren't used by themselves. Play the avi with a compatible player and the subs should load automatically with the video. You can open the srt with notepad or any other text editor if you want though.

MUI = Multilingual User Interface
    It allows you to switch between French (or another localised version) and English windows. It along with offline files, remote desktop, SMP support and a host of domain related features isn't available in XP Home Ed. Still don't think that (French localised Windows) has anything to do with your problem though.