1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subtitle problem with virtualdub

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dru987, Nov 8, 2004.

1. dru987

dru987 Member

ok maybe this is a problem and maybe it isn't. i have this avi movie that isn't in english so i downloaded the srt file for it and then i got some random plugin for virtualdub that allows me to add ssa files (subtitles) to movies. i converted the srt to ssa and then i hit "save as avi". well my 120 gb hdd has about 10 gb free and this file, which was 700mb, turns out to be 4 gb with only about 5 minutes of the movie. the subtitles work great with the 5 min but is it because it's in full processing mode that the file is so huge? how can i add these subtitles and keep the file sizr down?

p.s. by the way halo2 is coming out at 12:01 tonight!

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, this is not a problem. You must COMPRESS the .AVI or it will become HUGE (Video__Compression...choose a codec and [Configure] it). You have to use some codec (DivX, Xvid....) that must be installed on your PC; good codec = small size with good quality.
    My favorite choice is DivX/Xvid multipass, which needs 2 steps: on the 1st you 'taste' the movie and write down a log file (DivX.log for DivX, video.pass for Xvid), on the 2nd you actually compress the movie ( you can thorow away/overwrite the 1st pass .AVI), but you must own a registered version of DivX. Otherwise, you can test Xvid multipass, a little slower in compression but very good.
    There are thousands of sites about teaching optimal configuration for Xvid and DivX codecs. Just look for them around.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  3. dru987

dru987 Member

thanks for the quick reply aldaco. i followed your advice and when trying to compress i got this error "cannot start video compression: the source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)" what is this error dealing with? the origianl avi file? i'm not sure

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Strange. Are you sure you have the proper codec installed.
    What I usually do is:

1) use TMPGenc to transform the AVI in a MPEG-1 who hss the quality I want (VCD, KVCD + multiplexing the audio of the .AVI, gotten using Virtualdub to extract the audio (save WAV) + BeSweet to convert te WAV to MP2 (WAV-->MP2 for SVCD))
    2) compress the MPEG-2 with Virtualdub
    3) re--convert the Virtualdub's AVI to MPEG-1

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Strange. Are you sure you have the proper codec installed? or maybe it was too memory-consuming!
    What I usually do is:

1) use TMPGenc to transform the AVI in a MPEG-1 who hss the quality I want (VCD mpeg, KVCD mpg = KVCD m1v + multiplexed to the audio of the .AVI, gotten using Virtualdub to extract the audio ("file__save WAV" with Audio, on the menus, set on "direct stream copy") + BeSweet to convert the WAV to MP2 (WAV-->MP2 for SVCD))
    2) subtitle the MPEG-1 with Virtualdub (it takes less time to subtitle a small file than a complx AVI) e.g. using DivX/Xvid multipass
    3) re-convert the Virtualdub's subbed .AVI to MPEG-1
    4) make a VCD with VCDEasy (registered) or VCDGear (freeware) + any burning application
    I suggest to use TMPGenc Motion Search Precision "hightst quelity" when you first resize/clip the input .AVI and at lest "high quality" the you re-convert the subbed .AVI.
    If you are able to use the KVCD templates + audio multiplex to make KVCD mpegs 120' of movie will well fit on a 80' CD!