1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subtitles/closed captions

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by mumzee, Jan 20, 2008.

1. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

Ok I am able to do movie only now on my dvdfab...but it comes out with subtitles....I don't have a choice for menu/movie only because you need dvdfabplatimum for that....before you ask, yes I did put original movie in and went to menus and made sure that subtitles/closed captions were off.....how to I solve this problem?

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

You can use either DVD Shrink or VobBlanker to remove the subtitles.

3. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

I do use dvdshrink....what's vobblanker and do I use it right after dvdfab or after dvdshrink

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

If you're using Shrink, simply uncheck the subtitles that you don't want.
    Sometimes there are forced subtitles in the embedded in the regular subtitles that you may need. You can check this out using DVDSubEdit.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Just out of curiosity, the subtitles take so little space, why don't just use the remote to turn the darn things off? If you remove the subs maybe you will get 0.0some% compression relief. If the main movie fits to a single layer DVD, transcoding just to get rid of the subtitles seems futile to me, but whatever...Some people are bothered knowing they are there.

6. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

I would use the remote to shut them off, but when you just do movie only then you don't have a menu......if you know how to shut them off with the remote believe me I would gladly do it.....I did shut them off of the original movie w/my remote but when I did Spiderman 3 and 1408 they still had subtitles in the copies......you've solved my problems before so hopefully you can solve this one.....if I do it in dvdshrink I won't know what subtitles to uncheck.....I don't want to have to redo the movies so I there's a way with the remote then please tell me how to do it.....Thanks

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

On the DVD remote, not the TV remote(if you have an universal one, find the DVD Player remote), look for a button that says "Subtitle" or "Sub-T" . It is usually next to a button that says "Audio". While the movie is playing, click that button. It will allow you to switch between subtitles or turn them off.

8. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

Just got home from work and now it's playing perfect w/no subtitles and I clicked on zoom and made it a full screen......trust me my friend I will never piss you off because I would never want you to ignore me because I am learning alot from you and appreciate everything.....you can't learn unless you ask even if it seems simple to someone else........THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

So I guess you played with the DVD remote a bit, and all is good now.
    LOL! You're funny! You can't piss me off by asking questions, as I am not obliged to answer! If someone doesn't like a question posted on the forum, it doesn't have to bother and answer!
    I was always told that "there is not stupid question", and like you say, you don't ask, you can't learn.
    Cheers!

10. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

Guess what, I found out all on my own what the problem was.....on the dvdfab after I click main movie and the function comes up and on the right there are things ckd and one of them was subtitles and so I unchecked it and re-did 1408 and walla nomore subtitles...I'm watching the movie now....so I'm going to redo Spiderman 3 for my family so they don't have to go thru changing it because some of them don't like subtitles and I'm one of them except for (I forget the name of it) but it came out last year and u had to have subtitles to watch the movie......and thank u for taking the time with me.....hopefully, fingers crossed I will be fine now :) Have a great night

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That is how it should work. You select the subtitles and audio of your choice. Didn't reallty understand why you had an issue first time.

12. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

Because I'm a blonde LOL.....because I never used dvdfab before and never paid attention to the options......always afraid to remove things unless I ask because I don't want to mess up the program....I like the zoom on my dvd remote because I don't like widescreen and sometimes that's all it comes in......gotta go to work have a great day!!!!

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Is this like your computer?:~)!

[​IMG]

14. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

You wish, if anything it would be metallic purple....nice to know you've got jokes.....while I'm here if on dvdshrink it says movie is 2hr 10min does that mean it won't fit and I have to get a different blank dvd??? Will check back in a few.....

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The duration of the movie is not the only thing that determines the size in GB., but generally, yes, the longer a movie, the larger it will be in size. You will just have to compress it a little more with DVD Shrink. If the compression is below 80% or so, use the quality settings. It will be slower, but give you better quality. If you had to get a different blank DVD, that would be a DL, but they are a little more expensive.
    With a DL, most of the time there would not be any need for compression even when doing a full disc back up.

16. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

DL is dual layer? Can I find them at Walmart or Target....I know target sells 6hr blank dvd's.....ok school me again LOL do I find that after I backup on dvdshrink, and where do I find the quality settings? If it's more than 80 percent then I'm ok? Won't be doing anymore movies til Wed. when I get home from work.....so I will get your response and then give you a break til Wed. and then again I might just go buy the right DL and then I can just do the whole movie.....have a good one!!!

17. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

Hi, I haven't gotten a reply from you so I assume I am right about DL being a dual layer? But I need to know if I can find them at Walmart or Target because I don't have a vehicle and I will have someone taking me to buy them......

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes, DL is dual layer.
    First make sure your burner is capable of burning DL(I am mentioning this, as you never know!)
    If you buy DL, don't buy anything else but Verbatim. Verbatims are now on sale at OfficeMax. 100 pack for $25 the DVD+R. Don't know the price for the DL as I don't use them.

If you need to compress lots, use the deep analysis and high quality enhancements:

[​IMG]

19. mumzee

mumzee Regular member

Since you have led me in the right direction all this time I will listen to you and do the b/u quality settings....I notice you only highlighted for me to check the first box so that's the only one I will check......now will I have to do that everytime before I b/u or will it stay checked permanently? I don't have a movie to do til tomorrow so I'm just going to see if I can check it out right now... thank you once again......

20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No, that was a picture off the net, as I was lazy and didn't want to upload one. Check both boxes.
    I do not remember if the settings remain as default or you have to set them every time( haven't used DVD Shrink in ages, I switched to Nero Recode a while ago). If you do movie only( I find all the extras and the menus a waste of space), some movies might not require tons of compression. Usually if the compression bar gos to around 90%, I think the quality will be good enough, and the Q settings will not make much difference. For the higher compression, I would use them.

Here is a review of the quality settings, and you can decide for yourself, if it makes a big difference for you and want to spend the extra transcoding time, or not:

http://nerds.palmdrive.net/video/07Feb2006/index.html

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008