1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SUBTITLES - from one full DVD to another?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by jlrm365, Jun 3, 2007.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Hello.

I have the 20th Anniversary Edition of a film, on DVD.

Also, I have the "regular" / earlier edition of the same film, also on DVD.

What I would like to do is take the Italian subtitles, which are not on the Anniversary Edition, and add them to it.

First: What do I need, to take the subtitles from one DVD?
    Second: What do I need, to add those subtitles to (a copy of) another DVD?

I would like to leave the DVD, to which I am adding the subtitles, to remain visibly untouched (menu structure, extras, etc).

Does that mean acting in a different manner, to adding them and not needing things to remain the same? If so, how?

It's just subtitles for the main feature that I am concerned with.

Thanks!

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

You can do it with DVD Remake.
    Check this guide.
    http://www.dimadsoft.com/other/mirx/Custom_subtitling_revised_v1_0.pdf
    This is geared more to custom subs. But same software will let you put two DVDs together. So instead of doing that, you just copy PGC with subs into one without and than using command to turn them ON as default for that PGC. This will not affect your original menu.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  3. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

20+ pages. That's quite the guide.

It seems to be with DvdReMake, according to the software required, but I look forward to taking some time over it.

I suppose it would just be a simple matter of following the demux section with one disc and then the mux section with the other.

I'm not sure if I have to shift the timing at all but, as one seems to be a remastered version, it's possible. Is that covered in that guide?

To look at the files of a DVD, which are those that store the subtitle information?

Thanks.

4. Suba

Suba Regular member

You do not have to demax DVD. Just rip them to your HD and open both in DVDReMake. You will see the structure of it. Than you can copy PGC one with subs and paste into the DVD PGC without subs.
    Look at this posting
    http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/about9107.html
    Also check "Joining two DVDs" on Remake web site help.
    If you keep complete PGC the timing will not change.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  5. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

That's more good info, but I never thought that the timings would change.

I just wanted to know how to change them, if it was necessary.

Imagine the audio starts a second or two earlier on one than on another. Adding subtitles from one to the other would mean I would have to alter the timings.

I am sure I can figure it out, from those resources you have quoted, though.

6. Suba

Suba Regular member

To edit subs and timing there is a DVDSubEdit it is free software.
    There is also Subtitle Workshop, this one is not free, but you can create your own subs with timing and then import to DVD authoring software. It creates lets of subtitle file formats for different softwares. There is few more, but you will have to do search on Subtitle Editing.

7. attar

attar Senior member

I have used this guide to add subs to a DVD, while keeping the original menu structure.
    The new subs are converted to .sup format.
    The DVD is ripped to a folder and demuxed with PGCDemux.
    Muxman (or IFOEdit) is used to remux the dvd then VOBBlanker used to rebuild the .ifo files.
    IFOedit is used to adjust the number of subs referred to in the ifo files.
    The guide is five pages and step 9d should refer to 'reathored' instead of 'original', but it does work.
    Note that adding subs also adds to the size of the project and that has to be taken into account when burning.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic275603.html

8. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

You have to demux. jlrm365 wants to add the subs from early edition to the Anniversary edition. The mentioned guide already mentions how to do that. But it is strange that the later Anniversary edition does not include the subs - what's up with that?

If the timing is off, it can be easily fix with DvdSubEdit.

btw, isn't Subtitle Workshop freeware? At least that's what I read on its main website.