1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtitles & Handbrake

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by ManFromLaramie, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManFromLaramie

ManFromLaramie Member

Hello, everyone, and thanks for your time! I am new to Handbrake and would like to use it for my classroom.

I have several non-English language films (DVDs) that I would like to burn as MPEG, AVI, or MP4 files with subtitles--subtitles that I created myself or edited from the original subtitle file.

The idea: to have some old black and white film with actors speaking non-English, but with English subtitles at the bottom that say funny things or things that refer to activities we've done in class or names of students or poking fun at me. (Ha, ha! I hope.)

I want to use Handbrake 0.9.5 to hard code these English subtitles to a non-English video file so the subtitle of the MPEG or AVI or MP4 can't be removed in playback.

I downloaded Subtitle Workshop to create the subtitles. The Handbrake subtitle guide, however, says that only "VOBSUB" or "SSA" files can be burned onto a video created by Handbrake. I don't, however, see any option in Subtitle Workshop to create a VOBSUB or SSA file (or maybe I just don't understand the subtitle types well enough--I'm new at this!). My questions:

(1) Does anyone have experience using Subtitle Workshop with Handbrake to create a subtitle burned into a Handbrake video?

(2) Can anyone recommend another software to edit subtitles so they can be hard coded into a file created by Handbrake?

I have edited .srt files with Subtitle Workshop, and actually WordPad as well, but they don't work in Handbrake, as the guide says.

Any ideas from you masters out there?

Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.