1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subtitles on converted files

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by ianmerc, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

Hello All
    This may sound a little bit dreamy but is there a program out there that you can load a movie file into and it comes out with subtitles. I know about downloading subtitles and placing them in the same file as the movie when burning it to disc. However I would like to be able to put subtitles on movies and/or files that I cannot locate the subtitles for anywhere. I have several that just cannot be located. Then ,of course, there are some that never had subtitles in the first place. I am looking for something that will create subtitles on my movies and/or files that I am converting to DVD format for playback in my DVD player.

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

There are a few apps. that will do what you want
    1) Subtitle Creator
    http://subtitlecreator.sourceforge.net/SubtitleCreatorHomepage.html
    2) TMPGEnc Xpress
    http://www.tmpg-inc.com/en/index.html
    3) DVD Lab Pro
    http://www.mediachance.com/
    DVD Lab recommends to use third party software like Subtitle Workshop, to create subtitles in and import file into DVD lab.
    I am sure there will be other suggestions. I use number 2 and 3,
    prefer #3 as it is more flexible software for DVD authoring.
    #2 is mainly editing software for your raw file.

3. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

Thank you very much for the info.
    The software mentioned apparently works great but only after download of subtitles and then load them in to the software. My problem is that I cannot locate subtitles anywhere for most of my movies . I need to start from scratch completely. I tried subtitle workshop which seems to do that but I have had enormous problems with it although it is probably that I am not using it correctly.
    Any other suggestions anyone?

4. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If you don't have any subs and you have to create them yourself then Subtitle Workshop is probably the best software to use. There really isn't a quick way to do it. Load your movie into Subtitle Workshop, then type in the subs line by line, syncing them to the video. It takes time.

carlmart described how he did it in this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/383422

5. Suba

Suba Regular member

In all softwares I gave you, you can create subtitles by yourself, but it takes time.
    Like moonrocks say, I use Subtitle Workshop myself, it is good software, but to create subtitle takes time. This one is not that difficult to learn, but by the looks of it I thought that Subtitle Creator is easier.
    Just load your movie into the software and watch it go, stop when you want to type your translation in lower part of the window with time intervals. You may have to run it few times and adjust timing, to get it right with what movie say.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  6. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

Thank you both for your input and assistance.
    I had hoped that there was a program out there that I could just dump my movie in and "voila" subtitles are created. Does anyone know of any software that deciphers the dialogue in to subtitles and all I would have to do is enter start time and end times of each time someone speaks in the movie? I did say it was dreamy.lol. Oh well I will just have to give the fingers a good workout with all the typing.
    Thanks again.

7. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

8. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

Sorry about the double posting. Don't know what happened there.
    Is there anything out there for hearing impaired? That is the main reason why it is difficult for me to type every word. I have an extremely difficult time hearing the words. I should probably look at closed captions instead. Silly me. Sorry if I caused confusion.