1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtitles?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pontyp, Jan 2, 2005.

1. pontyp

pontyp Member

I am the newest of newbies when it comes to DVD recording - in fact, so new that I haven't even got a recorder yet! I am most interested, but I wonder if any of you can clarify a point for me. I am quite deaf, so I rely to a very great extent upon subtitled TV programmes. Will a DVD recorder be able to capture these if I record a subtitled programme? At the moment my trusty Panasonic VHR will record them but I will ditch it if the DVD recorder will do the trick! Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes by all means a DVD Recorder will record subtitles
    :)

3. PeterMac

PeterMac Member

I wonder if I might jump in here? I'm in the same fix as pontyp and need subtitles too.
    The Panasonic he's referring too (I believe) has a special chip which allows Teletext subtitles to be recorded along with the program material. On playback, the subtitles can be turned on and off from the recorder's remote, that is; they are not 'burnt' into the video the way less sophisticated systems do.

I'm fairly sure that this feature is not present in stand-alone DVD recorders, especially as the analogue Teletext service will disappear when analogue broadcasting is ended. Although I hope I'm wrong!

What may be pertinent is that a Super-VHS recorder has sufficient bandwith to record these sort of subtitles without recourse to special chips. Standard VHS cannot do this. I'd very much like to know whether it is possible to make a recording of a BBC1 program (say) using the recorder's internal analog tuner and on playback to be able to view the subtitles by turning on Teletext 888 at the TV?

-Pete