1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Success!.... Or so I thought....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Emmet, May 11, 2004.

1. Emmet

Emmet Member

First, what I am using. DVD Shrink and Nero(latest version) for backups over 4gb (Fat32 thing) and DVD shrink and Decrypter for files under 4gb. My system:

P4 2.4
    512 ram
    XP
    2 40 gb HD
    Lite on 812s DVD burner.

I spent weeks reading posts on this board and reading guides, until I thought I was ready to backup my daughters Nemo movie. (You know how 4 year old kids treat movies)
    Per many coaser threads, I opted to practice on nice new Memorex DVD+RW's. The first couple tries bombed. So I erased and tried again.
    Finally, my first successful burn. I ran right out and threw the disk into my stand alone RCA player. The +RW worked great! My kids watched thier fully backed up copy of nemo.
    +RW's cost a small fortune, so per this board I set out to find some Ritek GO4's -R's. So I run across this real good deal on NewEgg, 50 Riteks for $39.99. With over 200 positive reviews, I figured I couldn't go wrong.
    After 3 days the Fed X guy shows up with my disks. first thing I do is check in DVDinfo to see if these are really Ritek G04's. Yup, genuine article.
    Anyway, with the Nemo image still on my hard drive I burn to these new Ritek's. After it was done, I called the kids in and shoved Nemo into the standalone RCA drive.
    I worked great, or so I thought. About 45 minutes into the movie, I started to see squares. Then the squares got worse, after a few more minutes the screen started to freeze.
    The next day I put this movie in the standalone RCA player again and fast forewarded to the area of the movie that was acting goofy. To my suprise it looked great, the same exact places that yesterday looked screwy, looked fine today. So I played the movie longer, and again after about 45 minutes it started to act up again.
    I've made several backups since then. Full backup , movie only back up, and different combos of Shrink, Nero and Decrypter.
    The goof ups don't happen in the same place everytime,and if you shut the movie off and come back to it a couple hours later, it works fine, so I think bad media is is out. I was wondering if my standalone RCA player could be getting hot and maybe the lazer is having trouble focusing on the darker Ritek disks. Anyone ever heard of this type of problem?

2. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Emmet:
    I dont think its the media if its happening in diffrent palces. How about a lens cleaner?

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Some players just don't like some media. It's usually all +R or all -R, but sometimes it's just specific media. Sometimes it's even good media. You could try looking up your player at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers to see if anyone has reported similar problems.

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

This is the most bizare thing I have heard of. I have had Problems in general with RCA DVD players as the cheaper ones don`t even play -or + DVD`s. I was first surprised that it worked. What model number is the RCA?
    Vurbal's link has the best lists.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Just looking through the posts for a few players there I noticed that there were a few people with various RCA players who had similar problems, so I'd say that's almost definitely you're problem. You certainly seem to be doing everything else right.

6. Emmet

Emmet Member

My stand alone player is a RCA DRC22ON. From What I have read, lots of people have had playback issues with that player. I find it strange that it will play Memorex +RW's without a problem, but not my Riteks.

Can anyone recommend a good stand alone player that wil read these backups and doesn't cost a lot of $$$$. I got into this so I could backup my kids movies, but what I have spent so far, I could have bought about 10 Nemo movies. :)

Thanks to everyone who has offered help. This forum has been valued source of info, and I like how the senior members don't treat newbies like ... well... noobs.

7. Buik

Buik Regular member

Emmet,

It sounds like a heat problem to me. Make sure you have enough ventilation around your player. Also, dont place anything on top (My wife likes to utilize every sqaure foot of empty surface for nick nacks)

I base this on your statement that it always happens at around 45 minutes. Now, that it apparently has not happened with your RW discs could be due to absorption of more of the laser's energy instead of reflecting it onto components. Just a SWAG.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forum

TC
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Stretch the cash. Bargain hunting. System is not static.[/small]

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Alot of senior Members are noobs (my self included) so don`t worry about being miss treated here. Or if you are just let it bounce off, you might be better than someone else and they might try to knock you to there level. But then they usually get promoted to inactived. So its all good.

But to the issue at hand. It does sound like a cooling issue. How is your home theater setup?
    I have a stereo reciever that outputs a lot of heat, to solve that issue I put the DVD player Under the receiver to avoid over heating the player. If you do or don't have that issue, or if you have your DVD player on top of your TV, try moving into to get more cool air circulation around it.
    As for DVD players, the best way to look for other would be to go to the www.dvdrhelp.com or just use the new link above. Select on the type of media that you like and is cheap and then read reviews on the players that are excellent for it. Then if one is really cheap you might want to buy it. But if I were you I first try to rearrange things, and wait until one of your kids puts a peanut butter sandwich in the player, before you buy new.