1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden Shut down

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tyspeed, Sep 1, 2007.

1. tyspeed

tyspeed Member

So my computer just shuts down like you pulled the plug from the wall. There is no worning at all. Just shuts off and then restarts. when it takes me to the web site that tells me what went wrong it says "stop error" and "system had and error and had to restart" or something like that. when it happens again i will save the page. This is a custom computer i built. So far i have gotten a new power supply(600w), i pluged it in to a battery back up, i replaced my video card, and a new hard drive. So if some one could help me because everyone i know is stumped.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well you should probably re-install windows and also check your temps.

3. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

when you built your computer did you make sure all the settings in the bios are correct? and did you set the right voltages for the RAM and CPU? Also what CPU heatsink are you using, and did you make sure that there was thermal past on the bottom of it?

Go into the bios and find "Hardware monitor" click enter and you should see your temps for CPU and the motherboard

4. tyspeed

tyspeed Member

I forgot to say that i did re-install windows. For the bios setting i dont believe i did that. so if i need to change settings in the bios how would i know what to set them at? For the CPU it has the stock AMD cooling fan on it and when i installed it i did use the thermal paste. For temps i have always noticed they have never been hot. So my problem i dont think it is a cooling issue.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I would say it's the PSU but you seem to have replaced that. Can you try out another PSU?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which power supply did you replace it with? Often cheap power supplies don't deliver stable power to the CPU, RAM etc. and that can cause BSODs.

7. tyspeed

tyspeed Member

The power supply i got was a Kingwin 600w it was about $120

8. tyspeed

tyspeed Member

i was talking to our tech at the lab i work at and we came up with that my memmory could be bad. See the memmory i got was 4 512 sticks and they were sample memory from my aunt at viking. They make memmory if you all didnt know. So what we assume is that the memmory was probably mis handeled and now is bad. so what do you all think about that?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  9. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

do you have another computer you can put it in, and try it out?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mishandled sounds unlikely, faulty perhaps, but certainly not impossible. Try that, but I think $120 is a bit steep for a kingwin power supply, i haven't heard many good reviews of them.