1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden Slow Media Transfer Rate - DVD Shrink & follow-up burning

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by habbinga, Oct 22, 2004.

1. habbinga

habbinga Member

Starting the beginning of this week the encoding [DVD Shrink] and burning [Nero 6 w/ Sony DRU 530A burner] process I have been using have suddenly ground to a slow crawl. I have a USB 2.0 port [Adaptec AUA2000] which I installed about 6 months ago along with a new, external hard drive. When first installed and up to the beginning of this week, I could analyze and encode in about 1/2 hour and then burn in about 15 minutes... Now, for some unknown reason, it takes over 1-1/2 hours to encode and over 1 hour to burn. It seems to burn at 1x or 2x instead of 4x. I can't figure it out. Any thoughts?? Thanks for any assistance

2. agent003x

agent003x Member

Interestingly, I just upgraded my processor from a 2.4 P4 to a 3.2 P4 and the time it takes to encode has doubled.

3. agent003x

agent003x Member

Double post :(

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  4. habbinga

habbinga Member

5. habbinga

habbinga Member

6. SellOut8

SellOut8 Member

Same things happening to me cept its taking about 12 hours total

7. oweowe

oweowe Member

Yes, I experienced the dramatic slow down since last weekend. The reading session is ok, but the problem here is it took 12 hours to write to DVD+R 8X. Before last weekend, the writing only took 30 mins or less. Will that be helpful if I uninstall Windows' IDE and reinstall it?

8. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

Check your primary and secondary IDE channels. If any of them do not say ULTRA DMA then uninstall them and reinstall. Even if they do say ULTRA DMA you may want to uninstall and reinstall anyway sometimes it shows ULTRA DMA but it really is not. The slow performance is usually a dead give away for this. I have had this problem a couple times now and uninst/reinst fix's it everytime. Hope this helps. BTW I use the Sony DRU710A w/ NERO as well.

9. oweowe

oweowe Member

Thanks Juhnny, I uninstalled and re-installed the IDE and it now worked perfectly!
    I am using Apollo DVD Copy 2.0 with P3 733 + 512M SDRAM. It took me 35 mins only to copy " The Day After Tomorrow" (read 19 mins, write 16 mins). My burner is DigitalMax 16X DVD RW+-. My media is DVD R+ 8X.
    I have tried DVDXCOPY 4.0.3.8, DVDFAB Express 2.55 and Apollo DVD Copy 2.0. Apollo is the fastest and the picture quality is very good!
    Any better experience to share?

10. dayspring

dayspring Guest

I have the same spec as oweow i.e. P3 733 with 256 SDRAM and it takes me 5 hours to copy a DVD say Vanhelsing I am using an internal DVD try and USB LG writer it takes 2 hours to write the ISO image it takes 13min to write it at work on a P4 2.8 DDRRam using the same USB writer what do you think I should do?

11. bigdrew

bigdrew Member

How do you uninstall and then reinstall?

12. wild77

wild77 Guest

Uninstalling Your Drive(s)
    (1) Go to “Control Panel”
    (2) Double click on “System”
    (3) Click on “Hardware” tab
    (4) Click on “Device Manager”
    (5) Click on the “+” beside IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    (6) Right click on “Primary IDE Channel”
    (7) Then Click on “Uninstall”
    (8) Repeat steps 6 & 7 for each IDE Channel
    (9) Then click on the little “+” beside DVD/CD ROM Drives
    (10) Uninstall your drives in the same manner as described in 6 & 7 above
    (11) Exit out of Device manager and restart your system
    (12) Let Windows install your drives automatically

13. NyteBoss

NyteBoss Member

To Juhnny & Wild77....just a quick thanks to the both of ya. Your suggestion to correct the speed of my burning process worked Perfectly! Hats off Guys!

14. Bukem00

Bukem00 Member

I have the same problem- i have been burning for about 4 months- burn time is about 20 minutes- but all of a sudden increased to 1 hour for a burn- i'm gonna try this out and if it works, i owe you many thanks !!!

15. Bukem00

Bukem00 Member

TO WILD77 & JUHNNY OR ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! QUESTION

I WAS READING SOME POSTINGS ON THE MEDIA XSFER ON THE MICROSOFT SITE- I DON'T WANT TO DO THE REG EDITOR SO I'M GOING TO TRY THE INSTRUCTIONS LISTED ABOVE- HOWEVER I HAVE A QUESTION

DOES IT MATTER WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM YOU HAVE TO DO THIS?? I HAVE WINDOWS XP PROF.

THANKS AGAIN

16. wild77

wild77 Guest

Bukem00 this will work with Windows XP Pro,that is what I run my system.To be safe you can create a restore point before un-installing your drives.Follow the instructions posted earlier and you should have no problems.You can use the device manager to check what mode your drives are in as well.Should be DMA or Ultra DMA not PIO.Let us know how it works out, and you might want to watch the all caps check out the rules.

17. GhettoBee

GhettoBee Member

Guys I want to thank you for the uninstall tip. Windows was indeed misrepresenting some info (saying it was in UDMA mode when it in fact was in PIO) and a re-install of my IDE channels dropped my 4x cd burn speed from over an hour to a nice 12 minutes.

Thanks!

18. kooli

kooli Member

Hello Guyz,

I started to have this same problem and tried the suggestions with uninstalling both my Primary and Secondary devices and having Windows XP re-install them. Did not work for me !!! I am running XP Home SP2.

Any Ideas ??????? Please HELP !!! The burn went from 12 mins to about 55 mins (I have a 4x Maddog Dominator Drive and had absolutely no problems before)

Thanks
    Kooli