1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden Slowness of encoding doesn't matter which software I use

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by zyllah, Jan 21, 2005.

1. zyllah

zyllah Guest

Hello,

So I was really happy when I got this laptop and could finally back up dvds so they didn't get scratched. Its a dell xps with a 3.4 ghz processor, 512 of ram and a 128 meg video card. The burner is a nec 6500. I have almost 40 gigs free on my HD as well. Anyway for about a week I was happily backing things up. The process took maybe 25 mins to rip to my hd using dvdecrypter and then *maybe* an hour depending on length of film using instant copy. Burning took about 15 minutes. DVD shrink was always slightly faster. Anyway about a week ago the process suddenly went to a crawl. Ripping and burning still go on as before. Its the encoding that takes forever. In instant copy a 'fast' time is now about 360 minutes. I tried various system restores, no luck. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no luck. I even wiped out the system and started over. While its slightly faster than it was. Its nothing like it had been. There were a few windows updates last week could one of them have caused such a slow down? Its something more than just instant copy because I tried dvdshrink and while still slightly faster than instant copy its still MUCH slower than it had been. To the point where it too is taking 4+ hours. I did a diagnostic on my HD and it passed. I also made sure my drive was using DMA. So does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

Jen

2. zyllah

zyllah Guest

Oh I forgot to add I was using high quality on instant copy but as I mentioned that didn't used to be an issue. I am currently working on one using the high speed method and its still taking over an hour.
    Jen

3. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Which drive did you check the DMA hard, writer or both.

4. bydasword

bydasword Guest

<----- as you can see, i'm still a newbie, but i would like to share this; when i first got dvdxcopy my movies were burning pretty quick (about 25-30min to read, another 25 to write), and one day it jumped back up to about 70 mins to read and just as long. so...i uninstalled the driver/firmware for my drive, and re-installed the latest. don't know if that's anything to do with it..but the speeds went back up to normal. so..just thought i'd add my 2 cents.

5. zyllah

zyllah Guest

Both are DMA. One is DMA 5 and one is DMA 2

6. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Click on Start, select Run. Enter msconfig, click on Ok. Select the Start tab. Repeat with the Services tab (check on Hide All Microsft Services). Check these both for programs running at start up. Disable all. Reboot and try ripping. You may have something running in the background.

7. zyllah

zyllah Guest

Well I tried that and there was only a marginal improvement. Using dvd shrink at the lowest quality took over an hour Thanks.

Jen

8. rroettger

rroettger Regular member