1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden system freezes. No BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by jack marison, Oct 30, 2018.

1. jack marison

jack marison Newbie

Within a couple of hours after replacing my CPU cooler, my system froze on three separate occasions. No sound. No response from mouse or keyboard. Monitors kept showing a frozen image. On one of these occasions I waited a couple of minutes before resetting, but it stayed frozen.

The freezes were sudden. No graphical glitches. No BSOD. Nothing in the event viewer, as far as I can tell. On two of these occasions I had HWMonitor visible, and no temperature was above 60°C.

This happened two days ago and I had no freezes yesterday, nor so far today. Outside of those three freezes, the system is working just fine. I wasn't doing anything in particular when the freezes occurred that I haven't done since without issue.

While replacing the cooler, I unseated the CPU to more easily clean it around the sides. I was careful not to touch or damage the pins, but could this potentially have something to do with the problem? I was surprised the BIOS detected a hardware change on startup.

I'm at a loss to know how to diagnose this problem and the worry of it happening again and not knowing how to prevent it is eating me up. I could go into more detail about several of the circumstances, but since I have no idea what's causing this problem I don't know what would be relevant. If anyone could point me in the right direction or has any idea of what might be going on, I'd be grateful.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

i would recheck all cable connections as well as ram and gpu connections.what was the initial reason for the new cooler?also i would check my temps just in case the cooler didnt go on quite right.what are your system specs?

3. omendata

omendata Regular member

I have had similar issues.

Usb faulty devices can cause this as can faulty memory.
    My usb keyboard is the cause of my system halting in the bios boot with a B4 error!
    I also had a faulty usb card reader that would cause the system to freeze like yours.

Generally the last thing you fiddled with is the culprit.

First things first - reset bios to defaults and unplug all usb devices and external devices.
    Start from a basic setup and see if that cures it - then add peripherals back one by one until you can fix it.

If it still happens with all items removed strip back even further by taking all memory strips out and pci cards and just have motherboard, cpu , one memory strip and repeat - if it still happens then flash the bios again and check the cpu!

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

What omendata say's except start with what he say's last.Tho when i do this i remove the lot incl mouse all ram & the kb.I also reset cmos..then install one by one till i have 1 ram stick in.then boot to windows if i can & run it for a bit.Eventually i'll have all ram in then test run for a few hours before adding graphics card & again test run for hours.