1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suddenly DVD-R stop playing? Its spreading! Help!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by alpha6164, May 11, 2004.

1. alpha6164

alpha6164 Member

I have burned about 70 Memorex DVD-R 4X and have copied via DVD shrink and copied via nero. I have viewed these DVD's at least once, 98% played ok, a few played but kind of froze in the middle of the movie. This is with me burning at 1x to guarantee best trasnfer. Now, even some DVD's that I have played before, won't play in either two of the DVD players I have. It almost sounds like they are expiring. Is this the memorex DVD's? I am pissed. I am looking at the Ritek, but I see the regular Ritek G04 silver shiny top and the Ridata G04 with matte top. Are there any difference? All inputs appreciated.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I cant see the Memorex discs expiring as quickly as that, its normally a lot longer time period, like a lot longer. Are the discs in excellent condition and are the DVD players fully capable of playing DVD-R. Even my Marantz DV4300 sometimes needs the disc to be ejected, the unit to be turned off, and then back on again for a DVD R to play.

3. alpha6164

alpha6164 Member

I am not sure what is going on. Both DVD players are fully capable of playing DVD-R. Some of the discs when I look at them under light have some smudge, or very fine scratches, I am not sure from where, but my original DVD's have 10X the scratches and play fine. I have labels on all these dvd's and am wondering if this is causing an imbalance? Also, it seems as if these Memorex DVD's are very scrach and smudge prone.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

haha - ah ha - we now see. Yes, i guarantee if you remove the labels the discs will play fine. There is a monstrosity of a thread somewhere (buried i hope) on afterdawn with why not to use labels on the discs.

There are many reasons, including disrupting light, causing imbalance, and causing the glue on the disc to heat up and affect the disc. There are other reasons, but basically - labels are a nightmare. Buy printable discs and a printer for them...

5. michigan

michigan Guest

I saw on one of the threads you can remove the lables with "Goof Off" I haven't tried it so I can't endorse it but it might be worht a try on one of your discs after you do another backup of it.

6. Veblin

Veblin Active member

"Goo Gone" for the Goof Off.

7. michigan

michigan Guest

Dooough! Your right, good catch.

8. roberson

roberson Guest

Labels only cause problems with the cheaper media. I use Ritex branded G04 media and have burned over a hundred movies and not one of the Ritex branded media disks have produced any errors with labels installed. I can not say the same for Memorex or Princo media disks as all the ones I used for burning became, after a month, full of read errors. I had to re burn all of them.
    Do not use Goon Gone to remove labels as it way too greasy and hard to remove. It gets on the bottom and makes a real mess. Lighter fluid works OK but the best is just warm soapy water. Leave overnight and remove in the morning. Removing the labels will not work all the time. In that case re burn again. Also when purchasing lables use only water base glue ones.
    I use NETO labels. Then if you do not want lables at all try the CORE ones. They work even on the cheap media. Just my experience with lables. roberson

9. brian100

brian100 Guest

Where is the proof of this?..because I am very interested in reading ANY article on the subject.

If the label peels, even slightly, it will offset the disk which WILL lead to read errors. Considering that disks get "hot/warm" inside the drive this will greatly reduce the life of the adhesive used on the label.

I appreciate that you have not had a problem yet, but be patient because they will occur.