1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggest me a good dvd recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by steita, Nov 24, 2004.

1. steita

steita Member

i'm new about dvd recorder, so i just wanna ask u something.

I'm oriented to buy a dvd recorder without HDD (too expensive), but i read that for these kind or recorder is possible to choose different recorder video quality, HP, SP,ect that allow different recording time (1 hr, 2hr, ext)

So the question is:
    considering that i usually record films that last 3hours i've to choose a resolution to allow me a long time recording, but in this case how is the quality?? is it as a normal VHS recorder or worse??

thanks a lot Ste

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... A DVD recorder at the 4 hour speed is still better quality that a VCR ... At 6 hour it becomes about equal to the quality of a VCR set at the 2 hour speed ... The major differences are that DVD media is cheaper that videotapes, they take up much less space, they store much better and for a longer time and they aren't about to become extinct ... If you look around, you can find a set top DVD recorder for less than $200 (US) that you'll be happy with ... Here's a site with more information about the recorders than you'll probably really need ... Happy shopping ...

http://www.dvdrecorderworld.com/reviewlist.php

3. steita

steita Member

many thanks, so when i've to record a film that last 3 hours i set the dvd recorder to 4hours speed and the quality is a bit better than the actual VHS recorder??

bye ste

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... You are correct ... Or you could record the first hour at 2hr speed then (during a commercial) stop the recorder and switch it to 4hr speed for the remainder ... There is also various 'hacks' available to be able to record at 3hr speed (also some recorders have a 3hr recording speed) ...