1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion for new feature when posting

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by l2aw, Dec 31, 2007.

1. l2aw

l2aw Member

Many a times members tend to go offtopic inside a thread

Now we know telling them to stay ON topic all the time isn't really the most efficient way, so why not use another method?

Why don't we add an "off topic" button alongside bold, italics, quote etc when posting. It will help keep the thread more organized as anything said off topic will be easily distinguished. People who're more concerned on the subject, will obviously ignore the offtopic comment.

This will give a clearer perspective.

Given a light color (such as gray) so that it is not obvious, and easily seperated.

*shrugs*. The rest is upto you guys!
    Cheers!

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Nice idea!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Who would be marking the posts as "off topic"?

1. If the mods are responsible I think it would add a tremendous work load to what they already have.
    2. If the members are responsible I think you would see abuse as some might mark others comments as off topic to better get their advice considered.

I don't think it will happen. We have a "report offensive thread" button already which can be used for any rules violations no matter how trivial or small.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

With most of the mods sitting on the "hell will freeze over first" side of the fence, when it comes to chatting on the forums, I'd say not so much.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  6. l2aw

l2aw Member

I don't think so you got me.

The mods won't do it, obviously. Like I said.. there will be a button alongside the "Bold, italics, red etc etc" for ALL MEMBERS to use. No one has to "mark" them either. It'll be like this -> Example

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Why reply to a thread with something you know to be off topic?

On most tech sites you will be banned for too much off topic and/or pointless posting.. Just because aD is a mess doesn't mean we need to encourage the idiots.. there are plenty of places for off topic junk, and opportunities for it.

I would prefer to see a

"lazy ****** who can't be bothered to search"

and

"yet again the same boring question asked for the millionth time by a lazy ****** who can't be bothered to use search"

and

"identical thread to the 1000,000 with the same issue in this section posted by a lazy ****** who can't be bothered to use search"

tags.

That would make much more sense, and save a lot of boredom and repetition for all us regulars.

Also all guides should be closed like the news comments, with a link to a relevant thread... instead of allowing them to have the same n00b questions asked over and over again on the end of them..

my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  8. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I gotcha loud and clear now. So why not just replace it with the "report offensive post" button right there in the reply box so that the mods can come right in and assert some discipline...afterall what you are suggesting is that whoever uses the button is basically admitting to breaking the rules.

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

How I see it being used ^^

10. varnull

varnull Guest

** OFF TOPIC WARNING **

With it's Halo shell and 750gb hdd, samsung 605b drive, 128 mb ram, linux (sabayon 32 bit with ports 3+4 paralleled with standard usb ports) xecuter3 chip.. myth tv frontend and sopcast streaming capabilities I can assure you it most certainly is. looolz

(insert best west country accent) arrr summat like that thar... ??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

LOL

<3 Jan :p

12. papola

papola Member

The mods' computer should beep like a siren when an offensive post report comes in.

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

NO THANKYOU!!!

14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

nevermind

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008