1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion: Have all Posts fit the screen!

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by BarryEW, Feb 18, 2007.

1. BarryEW

BarryEW Member

Hi,
    First off, I would like to thank Afterdawn, I have learned so much about ripping, burning, choosing the right media, and everything in between that I have not trashed a disk in a long time, mainly, by reading the posts. Which brings me to my suggestion, most posts are fine, they fit on the monitor nicely no problem, there are a few posts that I have to scroll sideways to read them, some of them are a screen and 1\2 wider, a few are way wider than that. I find that scrolling sideways and trying to read them, most aggravating, especially if the post is lengthy and I find it is very tiring to the eyes. I now tend to skip those posts. If there is some way to keep the width of all posts to fit my screen, I have a 17 inch monitor, I would appreciate it.
    Thank you again,
    Barry

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

What is your current screen resoulution that you are currently using??

3. BarryEW

BarryEW Member

My current screen resoulution is 800 X 600.
    Barry

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

native resolution on a 17 inch monitor is at least 1024x768. when you don't use the native resolution of your monitor, things never look as good. plus, running such a low resolution, you fit much less on your screen.

unless you have vision problems, you should increase your resolution to 1024x768.

5. BarryEW

BarryEW Member

Thank you, I did not know that I will give it a try.
    I found a post that I could use as an example: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/467759
    On my screen in order to see the whole post I have to scoll sideways about another half a page to see all the writing, this one is not to bad, but when the page is full of writing, I have to scroll back and forth to read it. there are just odd ones like this and some are wider than others, most pages fit my screen perfectly.
    Anyway I tried that screen resolution and everything is way to small, I switched back.
    Thanks again,
    Barry

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

did that fix it for you?

7. BarryEW

BarryEW Member

Sorry, I was just in the middle of editing my second post and I had to leave for a few minutes, the answer is there.
    Barry

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Sometimes people post long lines of text that don't have spaces in them at all and due the nature of HTML itself, these can't be "wrapped" to multiple lines, as the browsers don't know where to cut the line, thus the page gets as wide as the widest line of text with no spaces in it.

As far as resolution goes, our site has been designed to work best with 1024x768 or higher resolution -- the reasoning was that if we'd design everything for the lowest resolution, majority of our users would suffer. Up until 2003 our design was aimed for 800x600, but even at that time, only 5 percent of our users used that resolution.

Most of our users use already 1280x1024 resolution or better -- 1600x1200, 1680x1050 and 1920x1440 are becoming increasingly popular.

After all, we're a video tech site, our users tend to always be one step ahead of the general public in terms of display size, resolution and quality :)

But to summarize, the problem you mentioned is partly due your low screen resolution, but more importantly, due the fact that stuff like Nero logs, etc sometimes contain looooong lines of text with no spaces and web browsers aren't very well equipped to handle that type of situations and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.

9. BarryEW

BarryEW Member

Thank you for the information.
    Have a great day,
    Barry