1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for External Drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jmc318, Apr 2, 2005.

1. jmc318

jmc318 Member

I just received a new laptop/docing station from work. The specs are as follows:

IBM ThinkPad T42
    Intel Pentium M Processor 1.7 GHz
    Toshiba MK4026GAX CD RW DVD Rom
    40 Gb Hard Drive

I would like to connect via USB 2.0 an external dual layer DVD burner and most likely an external hard drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated as well as the best places to purchase.

Thanks

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

For what it's worth,

I run a 200GB HD Westers Digital HD (Maxtor is good too) via my USB connection and I run a Pioneer 109, Dual-layer, 16X DVD burner and again, I am extremely happy with it. My internal specs are Pent 2.84GB processor, 1 GB RAM, a 200 GB HD and a 120GB HD as well as a Pioneer 107 DVD burner and a NEC 1300A DVD burner.

Good luck,

Pete

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I run mine as an external and it's super :D)

5. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

fasfrank: the reference site you gave showed an internal pioneer 109 in an external enclosure. Is that what you have? Also any advice on the source referenced "topmicrousa.com" for reputibility?

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Actually thats how I put my external hard drives together. I keep the old external case and when I want to change it out I just buy a new internal and put it in the case. Much cheaper. The drive is identical whether it is internal or external. This Pioneer 109 looked like what I would get if I needed an external burner. that way I know I could keep the case if the burner ever needs replaced. The items I have bought from these folks has always been what I ordered and as advertised.

If you are not comfortable with this then by all means don't get it. Here is another one that looks like it's in an aftermarket case.

http://www.jazztechnology.biz/product/PIDVR109SPD5

And if you don't want to deal with it here is another good drive with a factory case. Plextors are excellent drives.

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=bizrate&id=1003365440

Just use our suggestions as a guide. It is what I would buy or have bought. The final decision is yours of course.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  7. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Fasfrank: many thanks. I value your suggestions because they are cemented in much experience and credibility. I was looking for an external burner to swap between my laptop and desktop. You have given me some viable options. I just didn't know how good externals in enclosures were vs the true external. Now you have educated me and since those with enclosures are generally less expensive and "re-usable", as you stated, will probably go with that. Also thanks for the sites you referenced and your experience with them...Happy Burning!!!!

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

LABOY,
    Thank you!
    I always research my replies so I don't make too many bone-headed mistakes. The last thing I want to do is tell somebody something that I would not be willing to do myself. I have lots of friends here who will correct me if I'm wrong and I will learn something as well!
    The Pioneer I'm using is just excellent. Pete has one too and I guess that's about as good a referral a piece of hardware can get. He is a critical type of a person who takes no crap from a person or burner!

And of course if no one has said it to you, Congrats on making Junior Member and happy burning to you as well.

Frank

9. jmc318

jmc318 Member

I have yet to purchase a drive yet and have continued reading (and learning). I have been watching a thread in the dvd-r for advanced users forum called "Error Burning with External DVD-Writer and USB2 (SCSI command aborted)". Any suggestions relative to these issues? Do your suggestions still stand?

Thanks