1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for replacing HP iPaq 5450?

Discussion in 'PDA discussion' started by dRD, Sep 3, 2004.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I've had 1.5yrs my dear olde HP iPaq 5450 and its getting bit long in the tooth, as its memory handling and graphics speed are bit crap compared to even cheaper models, like iPaq 4150 and most Dells, etc. Ok, I love its looks, it simply looks nice and after I finally upgraded to PPC2003, the darn WiFi problems got solved as well.

But, what I'm looking for -- either existing or upcoming model -- should have something like this:

-128MB RAM
    -faster than 400MHz CPU, preferrably the 600-something XScale
    -SD is my preferred flash type, although CF1/2 is fine as well
    -fast graphics & memory handling (best way to test it -- drop 640x480, 1000kbps+ DivX5.x encoded video to PocketMVP and if it doesn't drop frames, its fast)
    -WLAN 802.11b or 802.11g (g being my preference, but as far I've understood, its still very rare in PDA world)
    -BlueTooth

Anything that would fulfill these requirements?

2. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Have you looked into the Dell 624MHz Axim X30? From the spec's it sounds right up your alley. Dell always uses quality components and the processor should be fast enough to hold its own for at least the next 3 years. Let us know what you decide on?

3. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i also would suggest the dell. i got an X5 about a year ago and it still working great although it only has a 300 mhz x scale and 32 megs of ram.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  4. dRD

Yep, Axim X30 624MHz looks relatively good, but I need to check couple of comparison sites to see how the video performance ranks against other similar devices. Big minus is the RAM -- only 64MB..

5. steve7059

steve7059 Member

Just use a fast CF or SD card, and that should solve your RAM problem, eh?

6. dRD

Not really, as some very hardware-heavy applications benefit significantly from having more RAM to run on. I don't use internal RAM as audio/video/doc storage, but simply hold installed progs in it and use maximum amount of memory available for applications. A/V and other big stuff is stored on my PCMCIA 5GB HDD that I use via PCMCIA sleeve and smaller stuff is on big SD cards.

7. rosedog

rosedog Regular member

I would skip the Dell's and go stay with the HP.

A very good start would be the hp2215, you get:
    400MHz
    dual Media Slots (SD and CF although I heard you can also use MMC)
    Bluetooth
    64MB RAM (you can have it upgraded to 128 @ http://www.pocketpctechs.com/Services.asp?type=i2200)
    the 64MB is fine though

Memory handles fine, I watch movies on mine. Use DVD-to-PPC.

Here is the specs:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/...erformance&product_code=FA159A#8ZP&catLevel=3

But if you want to spend the money you can get this bad boy: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/215348-64929-215381-314903-f61-420534.html

Media cards are getting cheaper every day now, you can get up to a 2gig CF card, 1gig CF and SD cards for just under $100 or for $250 you can get a RIO CARBON and take out the 5gig SEAGATE Microdrive (CHEAPEST way to get a microdrive)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  8. dRD

rosedog: The 2215 doesn't really provide anything that I don't already have in my 5450, so I can't see the reason for making the switch. 5450's specs are: 400MHz, 64MB, SD, BT, 802.11b (and the fingerprint reader of course ;-).

The whole point would be to make a significant step upwards with the specs and unfortunately HP doesn't have the replacement for their 5450/5550 yet. But yes, hx4700 seems to provide some of the key features I am looking at over 5450, such as 128MB memory and faster CPU.

Does anyone know whether the old HP sleeves fit to the new models at all? I like my PCMCIA sleeve quite a lot, but its not necessary if they don't support it -- would be just a nice addition?

9. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

I had the chance to compare the 5450 and the Dell X30 side by side and I must say that the screen display on the 5450 was sharper and crisper in my opinion. If only HP had done an upgrade on the 5000 series with the 624MHz processor and 256 of memory leaving the biometric scanner. In my opinion that would be a sweet combination. That bio scanner is a worthy addition especially in a corporate environment.

10. inglezoid

inglezoid Member

I just got an Ipaq hx4700 and it's absolutely fantastic. VGA screen (which you can turn into true VGA with freeware software), it's VERY fast (624 mhz xscale processor, 64mb ram, 128 mb ROM)

Tried backing up one of my DVDs to divx and xvid at various bitrates, and they all run extremely well in pocket tv and betaplayer.

Takes both SD and CF I/II cards.

And the best thing is, you can even back up your dvd to your desktop computer and run the movie from there over wi-fi to the pocketpc if you don't want to copy it to a large memory card!

only con I see is that it's not a very good device for games (navpoint touchpad isn't the best, but BenQ has released a gamepad that works on it, so that will sove the problem)...and it's still a bit pricey ( I felt it was worth the cash though!).

Video quality is absolutely awesome though.

11. kidmd

kidmd Guest

I have the HP Ipaq 4700 and I agree that it is a great machine, however I would still recommend that anyone in the market for a new Pocket PC take a good look at the Dell X50. It was not on the market when I bought my Ipaq.
    The advantages include NO crappy touchpad and a seperate graphics chip that should help with games and video playback.

12. QS™

QS™ Member

I've had the Dell X30 for little over a month and love it but thats just me ^-^

13. ejmd

ejmd Member

Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720

128MB
    520MHz
    Compact Flash & Memory Stick
    802.11b BlueTooth and USB
    640*480 VGA as standard, not QVGA