1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on freeware for ripping

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by pete2112, Apr 15, 2015.

1. pete2112

pete2112 Member

Hi all,

I did do a few searches on the forum and read the Read First stickie (the link for dvd copying tutorial is up for sale! :) ) I think some of the links are old...
    So, here's the story -
    Been using dvdfab 6 (It was a purchased version - not freeware)in my old machine for 4(?) years. If I wanted to make a back up of a dvd I owned I just put it in, clicked start and soon there after put in a blank dvd and got a backup. I honestly can't recall how I set it up - can't remember if dvdfab did both the ripping and burning or if another program did the burning (hmmm, maybe Nero?)
    I recently built a new system and need new ripping software. I'd like to keep it as easy as possible - like the dvdfab 6 in my old hard drive.
    Is a copy of dvdfab 6 available? (from DVDfab archives?)
    If I bought a new copy of dvdfab which version (8?9?)
    Will a new version of dvdfab also convert from DVD to ipad?
    Do I need burning software?
    Nero? (any freeware copies of it?) or do purchase a copy

Thanks much for any help,
    Peter

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Don't need to spend any money.
    dvdfab is free to rip always (i have bought dvdfab v5 a few years ago had free upgrades to v8 then they stopped it.Bought the slysoft package at the same time (anydvd,clonedvd,clondvd mobile),i use to use fab for quite a while then i got win 7 on a new machine 3 years ago since then fab is all but useless,it freezes all the time so switched to anydvd.

DVDFAB does have it's own burning engine & works well have done many burns in the past (as stated previously it is free to rip always)

vidcoder (it can rip dvd's tho not sure if it can rip protected dvd's,regardless its free as in no money) i use it to convert to other formats. Handbrake can also be used,both have presets or you can customize a preset

DVDShrink although outdated still comes in handy to cut front credits & end credits

nero is still a good software regardless of negative comments for being bloated,it ain't as it can be customized to what you want installed,i have nero 10 full,can't say where i got it *cough* torrent,i like 10 as it has nero recode,later versions changed it too much so ended up going back to 10

imgburn is free for burning & is quite good except for burning video_ts it requires to build,i think it creates an iso then burns instead of direct burning like nero

3. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

I don't really know how to combine both ripping and burning, all my dvds are saved in MKV (play on Mac) or MP4 (play on iPad mainly), both MakeMKV and Free DVDAid work well. The former copy DVD into uncompressed MKV so the file size gonna be quite big; the later can transcode DVD into various format but does not support raw MKV. Also if your DVD is not a commercial one, can try Handbrake.

4. aikopp

aikopp Newbie

Hi Peter,

My suggestion is freeware WinX DVD Ripper. I've been using this program a few years. I think it's also easy-to-use, which helps rip and backup DVDs with A-B-C steps in just few clicks. The most important is that I've never encounter any crash issues in the procession of backup my protected commercial DVD movies. It's free but defact to reliable and effective DVD ripping & backup tool.
    Sure you can upgrade to their full version or just get an all-in-one DVD software package at lower price.
    >> http://www.winxdvd.com/giveaway/mothers-day.htm