1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Frustrated about freezing

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by yanks23, Feb 22, 2005.

1. yanks23

yanks23 Member

I'm a newbie and I'm having trouble. I use DVD Shrink, I have Nero, and I'm using HP +R's as my blank disks. I have tried encoding and burning two different ways and both generate the same problem.

1. I make an ISO image and then burn copy using Nero.
    2. I make a backup in my Video file and then make a DVD-video using Nero.

I'm using an external DVD drive (Sony DRX 710UL) and I have purchased a PC MCIA card to upgrade my USB port to 2.0 on my laptop.

They both produce freezing of frames within the first 3 minutes of the movie. Then, the rest of the movie seems fine. I'm getting super frustrated spending hours doing this stuff only to have the first part of the movie screwed up.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Get some good media. I don't know which hp's you got,but it sounds like a quality defect on the inner edge of discs.

Try burning at 2.4x.

3. yanks23

yanks23 Member

Thanks a bunch. I'll give it a try.

4. yanks23

yanks23 Member

I'm told on another forum that Taiyo Yudens are the best. Do you agree, Saugmon?

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I would agree but,A lot has to do with what your burner likes.I've heard mostly a lot of good things on them,but few bad things.Firmware updates are the usually required.
    My main pc,I have the benq 1620-I have yet to find a bad brand of media. I just got some sony +1-8x's that were made by ty. Ty also makes some fuji and maxell's.
    I just got 350 of those sony's made by ty and they are working great,just like my ricohjpn,mxlrg02,mxlrg-03,mcc-002,and mcc-003. All these are very good media.

You have to watch out for some ty's,fakes. Ignore the generic brand names saying they were made by ty. Buy ty directly from: meritline.com and rima.com. Those are 2 of the most recommeded sites to purchase them.

I get most of my good media at local stores when they put them on sale. Just look for made in Japan on those wrappers.With all the manufacturers making media for each brand name,it's hard to tell which mfg co made those discs. That's why ty,ritek,and maxell are highly recommended.Very good manufacturers.
    Just surf around the dvd-r media forum,many threads about ty's are one there.They'll even tell you where the best price is.

Good Luck and burn on!!

6. yanks23

yanks23 Member

Thanks a lot. i'll give it a try. i'd much rather get a different media than burn at a slower rate, as some have suggested.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

check out verbatime too. ->

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm and
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

i prefer to buy online as its way cheapa than the shops for me. Lately im sticking to Verbatim 8x that i burn at 4x, even on my modern Dual Sony burner.

So far all my Verb's have been MCC media code, from India, or taiwan, but have been fine, touch wood.

As the others say,, use v good branded media, burn slower like at 4x, maybe 2.4, but i personally will stick to 4x for good, stil only takes 15mins to burn a movie, amazing for 4+GB of data.

Rich

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005