1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super noob with xbox mod/hack. need to buy xbox. where to start?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by inerax, Nov 6, 2012.

1. inerax

inerax Member

Hello everyone! I have been reading here for some time and thought I would take the dive to join up.

So, I am a huge gamer with the PC but am looking to possibly expand into console gaming. Problem is I have a child that has friends over all the time and girl scout meetings... What that results in is lots of lost/damages games :(.

I have a PS3 with a couple (lost and damage) games. I attempted to Jailbreak so I could backup what I have but it is not possible with my PS3.

So, I am thinking I should get a xbox 360. But where do I even start? I would like to buy used. But how do i know what to buy? does I need a specific model number or software number?

If I hack the xbox to be able to backup can I go online with some games?

Any help would rock!

Thank you everyone!

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

any xbox from june 2011 is currently modifiable, soon they will all be modifiable. with that being said the level of difficulty and need for expensive equipment to do so increases the newer the model you acquire. I would suggest seeking out someone that sells them already modded, that way you can get a better xbox, and yes if everything is done correctly you can play the games online.

4. inerax

inerax Member

I kind of like doing this stuff my self :)

makes for a fun challenge.

I did mod my Wii and attach the hard drive for backup.

with the xbox 360 (june 2011 and older) would i need to open up the console in any circumstance?

Also, does anyone know of any good walkthroughs for the mod/hack?

P.S. does it say on the console when it was manufactured?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  5. Eisherz

Eisherz Regular member

It does say on the console when it was manufactured, it's called MFR-Date. The date is printed on the back of the console. Also you'll have to open the box and probably even take apart the drive, depending on which one you get. A good walkthrough would be the Jungleflasher tutorial, it can be downloaded on their website (google is your friend).
    Also keep in mind that the older the box is the more likely it is to get a RROD, so I'd assume not to buy a box that is older than October/November 2008, a 2009 box is even better. The newer models (slims) are quite hard to modify and the tools get more expensive.

6. inerax

inerax Member

So get an 09 fat 360. That works. Google Jungleflasher.

You guys rock! Thanks for the head start!

7. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

if you get one with a benq drive that is going to be the easiest to mod, with a liteon you will have to do some probing.

8. dwanchope

dwanchope Member

If you're gonna be buying it online I would recommend buying it with 30-90 day warranty cause you never know what can happen. I bought a rgh Xbox on amazon. Its a jasper with hdmi and it came with a 60gb hard drive, controller, TV and power cables and all I spent was $123. SEARCH before you decide to buy the cheapest one you find. I made a mistake buying a refurbished Xbox on eBay that previously had the RROD and I thought that just cause it was refurbished it wouldn't get the rrod again. Luckily my friend told me that they can still get the RROD even after repair so luckily the guy gave me a 14 day warranty when I bought it so I immediately returned it and he gave me my money back with no hassle. Make sure you buy from a user with good feedback.