1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

super slow pc

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by newguy485, Jul 14, 2011.

1. newguy485

newguy485 Member

i have a HP amd phenom quad core 2.30 GHz processor3.00 gig RAM 350 gig hard drive windows vista. its about 2 yrs old and it is so slow i just took a virus out so its not the problem. it takes about 30-45 secs to bring up the internet and my email. when i look at my task manager the processor fluxuateing from 25% to 65% when im not even doing anything. any ideas on how to get it faster

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a "building a new pc" issue.

3. aldan

aldan Active member

what programs are you using for defragging and disk cleaning?what program are you using for spyware removal etc?how often do you use these tools?regular maintanance makes a big difference in pc speed.also a good registry cleaner ie ccleaner is essential.

4. newguy485

newguy485 Member

i tried ccleaner it worked great TYVM!

5. newguy485

newguy485 Member

my pc is still has a long start up it takes about 4 mins to start completely up is there anything that will help that?

6. aldan

aldan Active member

if it takes a long time on startup but runs quick afterwards it sounds like its loading a lot of services,some of which are problably not needed at startup.not sure how vista manages startup programs,perhaps a vista user will chime in here.in your first post you mentioned removing a virus.you may still have some nasties on your comp.download,update and run superantispyware.delete anything it finds.also download,update,and run malwarebytes and delete what it finds.then download hijack this from trend micro.change the name of the file to scanner.exe and run it.post a log of the hijack this scan.do not delete anything with hijack this just yet.cheers.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what virus program are you using?