1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support for DVD-R DL?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by paztelu, May 4, 2005.

1. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Not long ago I bought a Double layer (DVD+R DL) dual format drive (the sony Dru 710a), which can burn DVD+R DVD+RW, DVD-R DVD-RW, DVD+R DL, CD-R, CD-RW. I just heard that pioneer in alliance with the DVD Forum introduced the new DVD-R DL so my question is, could it be a possibility that companies start introducing firmware upgrades so their DVD+R DL drives can support DVD-R DL, Im worried because if that does not happen I will have to buy a new DVD burner with support with DVD-R DL, although I dont see any physical limitations in part of the DVD+R DL because DVD-R DL AND DVD+R DL only differ on the dye used, so post your opinions, so I can still hope that I wont have to buy another DVD BURNER :)

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The chances of a non DL -R drive being able to use it through a firmware upgrade are slim to none. I've seen burn speeds changed through firmwares but never support for another format.

I myself wouldn't worry one bit about not having DL -R support. +R was first on the scene and I doubt the -R spec will add anything significant other than simply being a different format.

3. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

:-( well and wont DVD-R DL would be more compatible still do you think is a good investment if I buy a DVD-R DL compatible drive If not long ago I bough a DVD+R DL drive???

4. Nephilim

Like I said I don't think DVD-R DL will be any more comaptibile than DVD+R DL :)

5. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Ok I understand that, but lets say not long ago you bough a DVD+R DL drive, and now a New DVD-R DL media appears and you need to buy a new drive to support this media, you have enough money to invest on it (although not long ago you bought a DVD+R DL drive) would you invest that money on buying the DVD-R DL drive?!?

6. Nephilim

I wouldn't invest in a DVD -R DL if I already had a DVD +R DL. There's no compelling reason to.